Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cozumel Dive Trip Report

Registered Users

Default For the OW diver

Quote Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
    Can anyone tell me about the currents in Cozumel? My husband and I are AOW but our daughter, Kirsty, hasn't been diving long and is only has openwater. We have booked to go to the Iberostar Cozumel next summer but I am slightly concerned about Kirsty as I have now been told it is entirely drift diving. Is this right? Are the currents very strong? Are there places suitable for inexperienced divers?
    You did not mention how many dives, how comfortable your daughter is diving, etc..
    The current is not strong at all. Cozumel has many locations to dive for the
    novice diver. Drift is all you do, some drift is fast enough that you can't stop to smell the coral. most are casual rides...

The South side of the island has new sites which many have not seen.
    It appears to be tailored more towards the OW to Advanced.. Mostly OW from what I can make out.

You are on the West side of the island. Here the dives are a little deeper, than on the South side or more towards Central Plaza . Your daughter should be fine if she is comfortable in the water.

My group is heading to Cozumel in July...

Good Luck
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Registered Users
    City
    Calgary
    Country
    Canada

Default Just returned from Cozumel

I am an inexpierenced diver and had no problem with currents. Loved the Diving. Am hooked. I am returning in May to do my open water dives ( for my cert) . Absolutly loved Palancar Gardens ( good name for it) Saw Nurse shark, 1 eagle ray, barracuda, turtles( lots). I noticed a big difference from last year, more plantlife and new growth and more fish over last year. Would have loved to see reefs before hurricanes. although it is cool to watch the recovery. I stayed at the Iberostar this year, great hotel.

City
    Reading
    State
    Berkshire
    Country
    England

Glad to hear that people recommend the diving in Cozumel even for the less experienced as we are now taking my sister's partner diving with us as well - he will be doing his referral dives out there. Also good to hear that the Iberostar is a good hotel - although we did read tripadvisor before booking and saw lots of good reviews on there. Now counting down the weeks till we go!

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    I am an inexpierenced diver and had no problem with currents. Loved the Diving. Am hooked. I am returning in May to do my open water dives ( for my cert) . Absolutly loved Palancar Gardens ( good name for it) Saw Nurse shark, 1 eagle ray, barracuda, turtles( lots). I noticed a big difference from last year, more plantlife and new growth and more fish over last year. Would have loved to see reefs before hurricanes. although it is cool to watch the recovery. I stayed at the Iberostar this year, great hotel.
    Conrad, I hope you have been diving between now and the time you posted
    your message, above.

On the subject of your trip to Cozumel Mexico, sounded like diving has seeped
    into your blood and rather quickly.. Usually thats how you know you'll be good.
    Cozumel is a good place to hone your skills. Sharpen them up in Belize.

Wow, that is exactly how I started in diving. I breathed off a regulator once
    and I swore I would learn how to dive... 30 years later.. I'm still diving.. and loving it..

Glad to have you aboard mate!

Cheers,
    Lars

"Let's go Diving"

Registered Users

Glad to hear that people recommend the diving in Cozumel even for the less experienced as we are now taking my sister's partner diving with us as well - he will be doing his referral dives out there. Also good to hear that the Iberostar is a good hotel - although we did read tripadvisor before booking and saw lots of good reviews on there. Now counting down the weeks till we go!
    Noooo... Finish the course before going.. You'll have more time to enjoy
    the diving... You can pay to have a DM dive with you..

Have Fun...

Cheers,
    Lars

"Let's go Diving"

City
    Reading
    State
    Berkshire
    Country
    England

I am already AOW it is my sister's partner who will be qualifying and my daughter who is very newly qualified and not done any dives since qualifying. However, when I read the book 'Lonely Plannet Diving and Snorkelling in Cozumel'. It put the fear of God into me - the authors stress how dangerous the divning is throughout, go on and on about strong currents and do not seem to think much of all the dive operators out there. I was really put off by it all!!!!!!!!!!!!

Registered Users

Default Trip Report for 06/20-27/2008

The island is bare of tourist... Yea... but the people flocking from the
    cruise ships... They tend to get in the way, especially on the AM dive boats.
    Afternoon is much better, less people... Like only ONE... Me!!! yea! Private
    diving all week..

I wore a 3mm shorty and got a little chilled at the beginning, but I got
    use to it after a few days. Wearing a hood would have helped. Seas were a
    little rougher than what I'm use to, and the current was stronger too.
    Go deeper, around the 100+ on the wall side and the current is comfortable.

Vis is the same, over 100+ feet. No pictures on this trip. Just good ole'
    relaxation week..

The Whale Sharks are migrating up near Holbox.. You can get a trip to
    see the whales using sunrisediverscozumel.com. Ask for Alex.

Enjoy your trip...
    Lars

"Let's go Diving"

Registered Users
    City
    Dallas
    State
    Confusion!
    Country
    USA

I am already AOW it is my sister's partner who will be qualifying and my daughter who is very newly qualified and not done any dives since qualifying. However, when I read the book 'Lonely Plannet Diving and Snorkelling in Cozumel'. It put the fear of God into me - the authors stress how dangerous the divning is throughout, go on and on about strong currents and do not seem to think much of all the dive operators out there. I was really put off by it all!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Don't be put off by what you read it one book, as you will see from the numerous posts in this thread and others, there is great diving in Cozumel for all levels of experience. As with any trip, just tell the dive operator your diving experience and they will ensure they visit the most appropriate sites. While there is basically always a current, that's one of the reasons the diving is so good, it varies significantly in strength and you just drift with it and enjoy the scenery. We use Carribean Divers when we're down there, a great bunch, know what they're doing, safe and make sure everyone has fun. We'll be down there early August for a week and really looking forward to it. Cozumel is a great dive destination, good diving, good people, good food, plenty of fun to be had when the diving's done. Go and enjoy it.

By the way, I agree with Lars, get the course finished before you go, that way you all get to go out and just enjoy the diving rather than one person having to complete "lessons" first.

Registered Users
    City
    Dallas
    State
    Confusion!
    Country
    USA

Bubbles, don't know if you've done the Cozumel trip yet, if so how did it go?

We'll be flying down there at the end of next week and really looking forward to it. Got 4 days diving lined up so far, we'll play the rest by ear once we're there. Hoping to do the Devil's Throat again and also the wreck, which I haven't done yet, despite numerous trips to the island. Can't wait!
    Take only pictures, leave only bubbles!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12