Thread: Tasman Hauler

Default Tasman Hauler

Dived on the Tasman Hauler over the weekend - here is a couple of vids that I put together - sorry for the quality - the vis ranged from 1-3 metres, temp was about 12 deg C.

Tasman Hauler was a "firefighting" tug that was sunk around Eden, NSW back in 1988.

Video was taken with my Canon A70 dig camera - best suited for people with at least 512K connection to the net - if not let it cache for a bit.

Very interested in what you think.

have fun

Jason

Last edited by dakuwanga; 02-26-2007 at 07:28 AM.

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I did a dive off Brush Island and the vis was no better. 40 metres down to find the anchors hooked on one of the only rocks in the area. Heaps of snot in the water and very green but we went over a section of very blue clear water on descent. And to top it all off had a 4 knot current running.
    Nice vids. I havent dived Eden in a few years but im hoping to get back there soon. Did you get to do the Henry Bolte? Is it all trashed yet or still some structure to it?

Matt

Nah - unfortunately didn't do the Henry Bolt - not all on the boat had suitable experience. I was told that it was "all over the shop". So with the vis being pretty bad - I didn't mind doing the "in-tact" one.

Think I was bitten by the "wreck bug" - got some saving up to do though - the bloody boat dives in Sydney are getting a bit rich.

Jason

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

AHH yes it does bite hard. Im suprised the boats are still fairly cheap with the price of fuel at the moment. Should i put the link in here for SouthPac? Price just covers the BBQ after the dive and the wealth of experience on the boats is second to none.

Matt

Hi Jason,

I am impressed with the video editing you did plus you figured out how to make it render inline here!

Nice job!

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Thanks for posting this. What res. did you take the video at? Is that 640 x 480, 30 fps? Considering the low vis, and it doesn't look like you had video lights, I think the video is pretty good quality.

Quote Originally Posted by seasnake View Post
    Thanks for posting this. What res. did you take the video at? Is that 640 x 480, 30 fps? Considering the low vis, and it doesn't look like you had video lights, I think the video is pretty good quality.
    640x480 - 15fps. The only light I had was a small Kinetics SL4 torch. I need to get another - will be doing another wreck at midnight in a months time - so it is time for a proper torch I think - the wreck I will be diving (for those interested) is the "TSS Currajong" - a collier that sank around Sydney is 1910.

Jason

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Go for an HID canister if youve got the bucks. You wont be disappointed. If your keen for a second dive go check out Manly Wharf. It can only be done when the ferries arent running and your already out there. Im guessing you would be doing it with Yves on Mindarie so it might be a bit of a drive from Rose Bay to Manly But thats all part of the adventure. Always kick on the next morning with an early one around Shelly Beach as well.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Go for an HID canister if youve got the bucks. You wont be disappointed. If your keen for a second dive go check out Manly Wharf. It can only be done when the ferries arent running and your already out there. Im guessing you would be doing it with Yves on Mindarie so it might be a bit of a drive from Rose Bay to Manly But thats all part of the adventure. Always kick on the next morning with an early one around Shelly Beach as well.

Matt
    HID would be good - but am looking for something a bit cheaper - have been loocking at the Princeton Tec Shockwave and Miniwave LEDs (probably the miniwave - much smaller). At this stage all I know is who my dive buddies are - no idea who is running the boat. I do like the sound of Manly Wharf or Shellie - although it is a bit of a drive!!

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Aquasea is fairly cheap for HID and made in Sydney as well. Leo does a few different types from narrow to wide beam. Ive got a 10watt and its done me pretty well. Bashed it through a cave course no worries. In the end you probably will buy an HID so bite the bullet and get one first before buying other lights that will be just tossed in the pile of other unused dive gear that seems to accumulate. You will find you spend just as much on other torches and have no more light.

Matt