Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hinged Fins

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I saw an ad for these recently on the back of some magazine in the dive shop. They look pretty interesting. There is also another new one on the market I believe it's called the manta.

Anyway, cool idea but the price is way too high. Like the sales rep stated, the one model is $450! For that price, I would buy a full face mask and some spring straps for regular fins. He also stated something about the high cost of dive computers, well I don't think ANYONE except him could even fathom compairing the two.

When they are below $100 I am sure divers will take a look at them, or maybe it will just end up like many of the other "new" items out there.....something we write about saying "do you remember the few years when they made those silly things"

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerbeach View Post
    Agencies, in all their wisdom, feel that everyone and their grandmothers should be scuba diving. So they can sell 'em all a bunch of gear they are supposed to depend on. It takes too long to teach swimming skills and common sense.
    Gear seems to be the primary focus of diving. Not that it isn't useful...
    The problem occurs when an average trained person has a gear related problem;and they weren't trained how to get out of it.

The ocean is a killer; it doesn't need help.
    I see articles like Chad's and I say "Learn to take off your damn fins!"
    and "it's more stuff to break"
    No offense Chad; fins are for use underwater, not for climbing ladders.

The Industry wants to remain self-regulated but won't mandate continuing education. They won't put expiration dates on "C" cards. Won't teach solid swimming skills at the most important level; the beginner.
    I hate equipment dependency. It hurts and kills people that trusted the Industry to teach them properly. A person that earns certification in a quarry has no business diving in the ocean; the same holds true for a tropical resort cert wanting to dive anywhere else.
    People won't regulate themselves, and the Industry won't either;
    It will sell 'em gear, though.

While I have not been diving since 1974, I have been in the water for quite some time. I think it is worth noting that the original diving courses were heavy on the skin diving skills. Gee, do you think there was a reason for that? Interesting to note that these students were far more competent in the water and better prepared to deal with abnormal situations. With the advent of better performing and more durable equipment, the skills of the scuba diving student have diminished precipitously. I would definitely agree with "Tigerbeach" and his assessment of the training agencies and their miss-directed priorities. Self regulation is wonderful thing, it just needs a "regulating branch" to make the concept viable. Who is regulating the training? What is the standard that must be met to be certified? Who is administering the training, and setting the standards for the trainers? What should be the MINIMUM STANDARDS for the student, trainers, and the industry as a whole? How many dives, and in what conditions should be held up as the standard for the various skill levels?

I could go on, but I will refrain. The aviation industry has developed such a dependable product with the aircraft, that the pilots now go years between "incidences", and are no longer perceptive of changes, or alert to those changes. So now the industry decries the limited abilities of the pilots. Does any of this sound familiar? Equipment dependencies are not a solution, just a bigger problem.

Country
    USA

do you remember the few years when they made those silly things"

My guess is that is what all will be saying about split fins 25 years from now.

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I agree with you on that, I have always felt the split fins are some silly gimick to sell more expensive fins.

REALITY CHECK, ALMOST ALL FINS ARE PROBABLLY COST LESS THAN $5 TO MANUFACTURE!!!

Get out them SCUBA Bucks $$$

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Thumbs down

Here we go we are off to the races. That pesky physics thing keeps getting in the way of all the "Better Mouse Traps"! We need one more gimmick in the dive world that will promise to do away with all that hard work in the pool! Maybe some batteries that will make them flop up and down like the SCUBA Steve doll! Look it is simple the strongest lightest blade fine you can find. The only difference might be the shape of the blade. Not split, hinged, or Light up on the dive deck! Ya thats what I want little red lights that blink when you walk so people can see you!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
    I want little red lights that blink when you walk so people can see you!

Great, and maybe a shark will think the red is blood and go for a nice taste. Then you can be your own handicap diver that you talk about so much.

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    Great, and maybe a shark will think the red is blood and go for a nice taste. Then you can be your own handicap diver that you talk about so much.
    Not sure of your point, but I will assume it was a joke and hopefully not directed at the handicapped who dive or would like to. I hope it was just not a funny joke directed at me? I am willing to give you the benefit of a misplaced sense of humor. I lost my Mother to a shark attack because she wore pink fins And thats not funny!
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Did the shark tell you the reason was the pink fins, or did you use your physics to determine that?

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Simple math the shark was hungry and momma looked like bait with those bright fins, two plus two is still four! And it is still not funny! It was my Momma! God man don't you have a heart?

City
    Corona
    State
    California
    Country
    United States

Hey Ace, Slap a lock on your mouth for a while.
    I've tried these fins on a boat trip and on the beach. Except for the weird looks and the questions from some attractive ladies, I wasn't impressed. I wasn't happy with the way they kicked and they were still awkward climbing the ladder and just walking around on deck. At the beach they were a little better because it was one less thing for someone to carry down to the entry, I bungee mine over my shoulder so I really don't care, but I could see where someone might find that useful. So sorry to the sales rep, but I'll stick to my Force Fins, As Papa Bear said, Fins belong in the water, If you can't get yourself out of the water like you where trained to do. Then maybe you need more training or another pass time. Sorry
    Just a Seadog's opinion
    SeaDog
    You Never Know What Lurks Below

http://www.myspace.com/twself

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast