Thread: Hi There

Registered Users

Default Hi There

Hi, this is my first post - just registered today.

I took the classroom and pool instruction for SDI open water certification 5 years ago (even bought $1000 worth of equiptment because i was serious) but two days before the ocean dives my husband was diagnosed with a rare terminal cancer. Needless to say our whole world turned upside down and I haven't focused on Scuba Diving since then. After an amazingly courageous battle, my husband passed away 4 weeks ago. This is really my first actual "decision" concerning my future since his passing but ....I'm going to start the certification process again. I can't find an SDI class near me, there is a PADI class about an hour away. This is my concern: the equipment I bought has a computer and for some reason the thought of using the "tables" in a PADI class makes me nervous. I'm sure some will say it is best to know how to do it manually as well as using the computer but I'm just reluctant. The wonderful part is that one of my son's went to the Philippines a couple of years ago, met a girl, and still lives there ........ "up on the mountain" about 30 minutes from Moalboal. I don't know when ........ but I'm going there in the next year and who knows, maybe I'll like it so much in Moalboal, I'll get a place and stay. But first I want to get certified. Any thoughts?

Welcome to ScubaMagazine!
    Sorry for your loss!
    Go ahead and take the PADI course! The dive tables are a great backup to the computer. make sure youre computer is functioning after all this time. Good luck with your classes
    As far as the Philippines goes, my wife is from the Philippines, and for the first 12 years of our marriage she always talked about retiring to the Philippines, and all I thought was how much I would miss her!
    My first trip to the Philippines, I was looking at real-estate adds after two weeks!
    You'll Love it!

Country
    USA

Sorry for your loss Keltie, I am sure he would want you to finish up dive training and be able to experience that.

H20Dragon is right, the Philippines is a great place to retire too. If you get $800-900 a month in SS benefits, you can live good there with a house servant at $5 a day. Moalboal diving is great. Don't worry about the tables and all that stuff. For those of us who just diveto enjoy it, none of us really use any tables. The critters are spectacular in the Philippines, and you'll be too busy enjoying the bizarre stuff to worry about tables.
    SMN Publisher

Country
    USA

Sorry for your loss Keltie, I am sure he would want you to finish up dive training and be able to experience that.

H20Dragon is right, the Philippines is a great place to retire too. If you get $800-900 a month in SS benefits, you can live good there with a house servant at $5 a day. Moalboal diving is great. Don't worry about the tables and all that stuff. For those of us who just diveto enjoy it, none of us really use any tables. The critters are spectacular in the Philippines, and you'll be too busy enjoying the bizarre stuff to worry about tables.
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users

I start my PADI Open Water Dive class next weekend and do my ocean dives in Monterey the weekend after that. It's exciting. Thanks for the info, I wondered how much it might cost per month to stay in the Phillipines. For this Canadian gal that was born and raised in Northern Alberta, it hardly seems real.

Country
    USA

Depends on how you expect to live. $500 USD a month would work quite well.
    SMN Publisher