Thread: Please help ID these stinging creatures...

Registered Users

Default Please help ID these stinging creatures...

Went fishing in the surf near Jacksonville Beach, FL in December. There was a lot of sargasso seaweed, so I didn't stay long, but I was in the water most of the time. When I got home and showered, these things started dropping from the backs of my legs, but not before giving me a few nice stings. I have exhausted the internet and my pics aren't great, so any help you can provide is appreciated! Note: the creature on the top of pic 2 is the same as the one in pic 3 - I hit it with water, which re-positioned/re-shaped it...

Thanks1
    Attached Images Attached Images

Country
    USA

The picture is just too blurry...there are thousands of stinging hydroids that are pelagic....
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users

Thanks - I wish I could have gotten better shots too - just grabbed my phone while being stung and trying to get them off me... then they were down the drain before I knew it...

Country
    USA

I know in tropical waters sometimes our faces bump into little things we usually cannot feel, but a few moments afterwards we feel this mild irritationa nd when you wpe it with you hand, the slight stinhing sensation grows stronger but 10 minutes later the sensation is usually gone.
    SMN Publisher