Thread: The Whale Sharks of Oslob, Cebu, Philippines

Country
    USA

Default The Whale Sharks of Oslob, Cebu, Philippines

Just a heads up everyone.

There is this new thing happening in Oslob, Cebu, near the southernmost tip.

Early in the morning the fisherman have netted a bunch of krill the night before, and in the am, divers gear up and swim out from shore in waters only 30 feet or less in depth, and several whale sharks head in at the same time to filter out the krill the fisherman throw into the water. Divers can get right up to the whale sharks who are quite preoccupied, as long as you don't touch them or impede them.

The fee the fisherman charged is really inexpensive yet it pays better than fishing. The whale sharks head off after mornign in search of their own krill to feed upon. The whale sharks have been staying around for months now, who knows how long they will stay, but I imagine as long as there is something for them to eat. The whale sharks are not captive in any way, so it looks like there are winners all the way around here.

We hope to shoot something soon about the experience.
    SMN Publisher

City
    Singapore
    State
    Singapore
    Country
    Singapore

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1hg7sM0mI

Some pictures to go with the story. Awesome!
    "And God created great sea-animals, and every living soul that creeps with which the waters swarmed after their kind..." (MKJV) Gen 1:21

www.vimeo.com/greenturtle

Country
    USA

What a silly article, trying to imply there was some sort of spiritual connection between the fisherman and the whale sharks. The whale sharks are just opportunist feeders.

And "drew gasps of disbelief"?! How overdramatic. Unless a human looks like and is the size of krill, there is no need to worry.

Poor article, but the greater story of the whale sharks of Oslob is unique. Thanks for posting the link!
    SMN Publisher

City
    Singapore
    State
    Singapore
    Country
    Singapore

Was only looking at the pictures, you actually read??
    "And God created great sea-animals, and every living soul that creeps with which the waters swarmed after their kind..." (MKJV) Gen 1:21

Country
    USA

I am not sure what you are saying as I saw no photos or drawing, lol

I need to get to Oslob......
    SMN Publisher

City
    Singapore
    State
    Singapore
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    I need to get to Oslob......
    Friend's friend is "rushing" there next month. I think will be good if we can go there fast as restrictions on diving may be imposed if there are too many visitors. It may end up as popular as Donso for Whaleshark watching but the waters at Oslob is certainly pristine as compared with Donso!

(Haven't been to both places but have heard stories of Donso and soon Oslob)