Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Fatal Diving accident caught on tape - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fatal Diving accident caught on tape

City
    Eilat
    Country
    Israel

The second vid that lars posted is a mix of the Israeli navy's ROV picking up another diver that died in the Blue-Hole with a well known team of deep sea explorers here that are mapping and documenting all they see and dive.
    if there are any questions i would gladly answer if i can.

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

I didn't catch that before, that he was diving trimix. Thanks for that.

So this was supposed to be basically a bounce dive, down and up, just to say he did the depth? And is it typical for these guys to overweight themselves so they can drop to the bottom really fast? So what happened then, was he too overweighted and was not able to get enough lift from his bouyancy compensator to make an ascent? Did that lead to him panicking? Because some mentioned it would seem he spit his reg out.

Ron

City
    Eilat
    Country
    Israel

Unfortunately, the Israeli Diving Authority does not publish diving accident inquirys or conclusion, they claim it is invasion of ones privacy or something or other....

kind of silly. since one has to learn, and in order to learn one has got to know about what happend....

anyway.
    one can only speculate.
    i can only think he overweighted himself on purpose but hey...
    what do i know.....

Default New info?

I know this is now history but has anyone learned anything new on this accident?
    Any info on the 2nd individual who the team was recovering? Looked like an old death.

Dave

Registered Users

Disturbing.

I noticed when he hit the bottom he seemed out of control. "Sand darts" is what my instructor calls a diver that shoots to the bottom too fast, usually they impale their ass cheeks landing on sea urchin.

This reminds me that extreme diving is not for me. I was stressed about my deep dive for adv certification. Something about that threshold where there is zero margin for error to survive. Not in to it. We dropped to 106ft. The tennis ball we brought down went concave, that was cool - we did a "simon says" game and I did not feel narc'd, but it was cold and lifeless. I understand that some dive sights are worth the deep dives, but I stop having a good time when I know a potential problem at such depth is most likely going to be fatal.

I did my nitrox certification, but I don't really like the potential to suddenly go in to convulsions without any warning either. Not that nitrox has anything to do with deep diving, it doesn't, but it is another red zone to consider.

I met one diver that kept all her diving pretty basic, but got randomly bent in a freak incident anyway. She will not dive anymore.

Just reading about what the technical divers do gives me chills. Has that "I sure hope my parachute opens" feel for me!

Diving with seals playing around your fins always seems fun, but I read a story about a husband and wife that were diving with seals and one of them bumped in to the divers hard enough to knock both of their regulators out of their mouths. The husband was able to save himself, his wife drowned.

"It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

Registered Users

I just want to add one more thought. I had an incident that the sounds of this video remind me of. When he inhales, it sounds like there was a small leak in his regulator, causing small amounts of water to enter as he inhaled. This happened to me once, and I immediately surfaced and got back on the boat and swithched to another regulator. Is it possible, that along with the real presence of being extremely narc'd when he hit bottom that his regulator leak got worse as more and more pressure built up as he descended further and further down? His breathing seems steady, but I swear I hear water entering the regulator.
    "It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Even with trimix, what is the narcosis like at those depths?

City
    Eilat
    Country
    Israel

In the Video, the forum of experts you saw discussing the incident wondered if the noises from the regulator are not cries for help,
    the father, also seen in this vieo, states they were cries for help.
    who knows. as i stated earlier, the Israeli Diving Authority does not release conclusions or information because of privacy issues, so they state, they just come up with new laws and bylaws.

as for narcosis in those depths, Seasnake. i believe it all depends on your gas mix. the ammount of He that you have in your mix, you could basically choose your END according to what you feel comfortable with, i usually keep mine between 24 - 36 meters END.

Diver / Poi Enthusiast santelmo's Avatar
    City
    Quezon City / Puerto Princesa
    State
    Manila
    Country
    Philippines

i found these videos on Youtube... just like to share them..

A video about Yuri Lipski
    Last edited by Sarah; 05-05-2007 at 11:38 PM.

Registered Users

Default The Divers Graveyard

For those of you who did not dive this site, before you enter to the water to start your trip down there, you come across a tomb stone with the names of many divers who lost their lives there. This tombstone has the names of divers from all over the world, seeing this before starting my dive made me have goose bumps and i had fear runing through my self, but i decided to go for it and to respect the rules of the site.
    His name was on this tombstone. the key word for this is "OVERCONFIDENCE" and amazingly all those people who passed away in this site, are experienced divers.
    Finally, thank you Sarah for bringing this video.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast