Registered Users
    City
    Dallas
    State
    Confusion!
    Country
    USA

Default Exploding Scuba Tank

A friend saw this news article and I thought I'd share it and see what people think.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/...ws-9?hpt=hp_t2

I did a quick search on exploding scuba tanks and it seems this has happened in the past. There were a couple of alloys which appeared to weaken with time and exposure to heat, resulting in tanks exploding like the one in this article.

http://www.scubabomb.freeservers.com/Scubadag.htm

I'm sure someone out there knows a lot more about this and whether its still a potential issue?
    Take only pictures, leave only bubbles!

Registered Users
    City
    Newquay
    State
    Cornwall
    Country
    UK

Ali tanks can develop stress fractures and then explode, not a problem with steel tanks. In the UK Ali cylinders manufactured pre-1995 have to have an NDT (eddy current Non Destructive Test) every year to check for micro stress fractures. The Norwegian one hadn't been tested for 4 years and was 24 years old at the time.

Without more info on the American one I couldn't comment, it may or may not have been tested, it may or may not have been old, it may have been damaged or corroded.

The only answer is - KEEP YOUR TANKS IN TEST.
    For PSAI/SSI/SDI/TDI Diver Training or RHIB Charter in Cornwall visit - Atlantic Scuba

Country
    USA

I have seen plenty of photos of exploded scuba tanks, primarily aluminum but a few corroded steel ones.

Aluminum is susceptible to stress cracking.
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users
    City
    Newquay
    State
    Cornwall
    Country
    UK

Corroded Steel cylinders will eventually leak through microscopic pinholes. I have never seen an exploded steel cylinder, even in a fire the valve will melt before the cylinder explodes.
    For PSAI/SSI/SDI/TDI Diver Training or RHIB Charter in Cornwall visit - Atlantic Scuba