Thread: Mass Stranding! Volunteers Needed!

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Default Mass Stranding! Volunteers Needed!

I just returned from a nice vacation in Florida a few days ago. While there my wife and I decided to forfeit our dive time and volunteered at the Marine Mammal Conservancy in Key Largo Florida. There was a group of Pilot Whales that stranded off Cudjoe Key on May 5th. They need volunteers to hold the whales in the water as well as donations of items and or money. This was one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had and this is a rare opportunity for individuals to be hands on with Pilot Whales. It is also a chance for individuals to make a difference they can see. These beautiful animals desperately need your help!

http://marinemammalconservancy.org/

This is not my video, but this is a video of the whales. Unfortunately there are only 3 whales left as one fell so ill it had to be euthanized.

YouTube - ‪Pilot Whales - May 14, 2011 - Marine Mammal Conservancy - Key Largo, FL‬‏

YouTube - ‪Pilot Whale Stranding in Florida 05/11‬‏
    Last edited by acelockco; 06-04-2011 at 05:09 PM.

Country
    USA

There will always be a future opportunity to go back and have a vacation there, but how many people in their lifetimes get to interact with and help save stranded, sick pilots whales who would have otherwise probably died.

I wouldn't say you gave up your vacation, I would say you had a vacation of a lifetime!

Way to go Ace!
    SMN Publisher

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post

I wouldn't say you gave up your vacation, I would say you had a vacation of a lifetime!

Way to go Ace!

100%, it was the best vacation ever!!!!