Thread: Online training

Registered Users

Default Online training

Professionals and non-professional:

Are you for or against online training? Why?
    What do you find to be the:

Pros:

Cons:
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Country
    USA

I know RAID does online training for rebreather use.....

I can't see how online training can be a substitute for a well trained instructor watching students and correcting their mistakes and visually demonstrating everything.
    SMN Publisher

Country
    USA

When I certified SDI there was an online course that covered all theoretical aspects of SCUBA, for example, pressure increase with depth and what it means. You had to pass a test after each chapter before you could move on to the next. After finishing the course you had to take a final covering all the material. Next you took the test results to a class with the instructor who reviewed what you got wrong and explained it till you got it. Next there were 4-6 pool sessions of 2 or more hours where the theory was reviewed and the mechanics were taught by the instructor and 3 assistants. You were drilled on everything from assembling gear to mask flooding, to BC removal and redonning, buddy breathing, etc. They would come up behind you and remove your mask to see how you handled the unexpected. It was pretty rigerous. Then there were 2 days of certification dives - 3 to 4 a day where every skill had to be performed well or no C-card. There was also a written final that had to be passed at a high level or no C-card.

Pros of the online part: You could do it when it was convienient and in your own home. You could ask questions on line for clarification and also call your class instructor to get something straight. You could review each chapter as many times as you wanted/needed without an instructer becomming frustrated if you were a bit slow on a concept. It gave you the background to be able to understand what was covered in the pool sessions. Since it requires much less time from the instructor the cost of certification can be kept down.

Cons of the online part: I don't see any.
    Last edited by Charon; 06-03-2011 at 02:55 PM.
    The only thing I believe in is disbelief - except in the case of unexpected miracles.

Country
    USA

Charon, when done as you described I can see that working.
    SMN Publisher