Dive masters, dive masters, dive masters.....oh where to start? There is so much to say about this issue I think there needs to be a thread on that alone, well here is that thread. It seems like just about every diver has a different opinion on what they would want or like from a dive master, and every dive master is completely different from another. It is almost imposable to judge how the dive master / diver relationship is going to work out until you are diving together. Personally, I want a dive master that gives me a safety briefing ONCE and tells me what to expect on the dive. After that I prefer that my dive master worries about everyone else and leaves me and my wife to enjoy our dive. Now my wife and I dive together exclusively and always enjoy the dive much more then we ever did when diving with others. I don't want help getting on the boat, I don't want them to touch my gear, I can carry my own fins up the ladder and I can hand my wife her camera before I jump in. I already checked my gear and air, please don't turn my air valve I have it set exactly where I want it (full open - 1/4 turn). Now I also completely understand they trying to help, but I also make it clear before the dive that I don't want help except in an emergency. I also know most people do not want that treatment and would be really pissed id a DM treated them that way. I also hate pompous dive masters, something I find way too often. I know it is a cool job, and you are in great shape, tan and enjoying the island life, but unlike you most of us have jobs and work very hard for a week or two of diving every year. We didn't spend all of that money to be told why you are a better diver or why your gear is cooler then ours, or you logged 10,000 dives or whatever. We are not there to be impressed by your accomplishments, we are there to enjoy our partners and our vacation.

I don't want to come off too negative, this was in response to another thread, rather the idea here is to find what people want and don't want in a dive master. It is also an opportunity for dive masters to give their point of view as we surely are not seeing things from their point of view.