Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello

Country
    USA

Default Hello

Hi all.

I've been viewing and posting on this forum for a few months but never introduced myself. I'm a long time snorkeler (55+ years) and a mostly solo diver. The only equipment needed to dive solo that I don't own is a primary tank. For the amount of diving I can do where I live and my age (64) I really can't justify the price of a steel tank (unless of course I find a used tank cheap). It's really not a big problem as the dive shop where I rent tanks is more or less on the way to most of the lakes I can dive.

I love the Caribbean and love shore diveing. I've been to Dominica, Bonaire, Nassau, and the Keys. Dominica was totally the best but I hate eating goat so it was mostly peanut butter, pizza, and chicken. Bonaire was good but my timing was bad. Tons of rain for months before I got there so the vis sucked. The best vis on any dive there was less than 40 feet and in some places it dropped to 15 feet - very unusual. Nassau was a LOOOooonnng swim out to the reef. Shortest was a quarter mile mostly way longer. Did a boat trip there and it was great. In the Keys I did mostly boat off Key Largo and it was awsome. One offbeat place that I had a ton of fun at was 4 weeks in Brattleboro VT. I snorkeled every day (sometimes 3+ hrs) in the West River. Totally clear, lots of fish, current or not - you decide, and even in 95° weather going to bottom was like hitting soft ice (heavily spring fed). It was a gas.

Places I want to go to to dive and explore before I die are Tulum, Playa del Carmen, Belieze, and (I pray) Bora Bora or somewhere there abouts.

This summer I plan to dive Saratoga Lake (local). It's got a small pocket 90-110 feet deep (depending on the rain). I want to see what's down there. I caughht a 40 inch eel in that lake and I wonder if that's where they hang out.

I'm also planning to volunteer as a diver for an effort to controll milfoil in Lake George. They have divers go down and suck up or pull millfoil and leave the native plants. It's usually a paid job but if they will supply the air I'll do it free for the chance to be underwater.

I grow orchids, still play soccer (though in the over 50's - too many injuries to continue over 40's), fish (mostly with my Dad who is 89), and do woodworking (these days mostly turning bowls). In short I'm a pretty boreing dude.
    The only thing I believe in is disbelief - except in the case of unexpected miracles.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    In short I'm a pretty boreing dude.
    Oh my word, I hope I am still able to do all of the amazing things you are doing when I am your age. It is wonderful to hear your diving stories and experiences. Surely nothing even close to boring, I will say that!

If you are ever going to be in Southern New Jersey, drop me an email and we can try to meet up for a dive, and at minimum I can direct you to the diving locations.

Registered Users

Hi! I'm Rouse and I'm new here. I'm looking forward to learn new things from you guys and also share my knowledge as well.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Jump right in! We love having new members. Browse through our threads and feel free to bring back discussions you are interested in or start new ones.

Ace

Registered Users

Just wanted to say hello and thanks for having a great sit? looking forward to meeting new scuba buddies. Nick

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    I love the Caribbean ... but I hate eating goat so it was mostly peanut butter, pizza, and chicken.
    Hi Charon, welcome to our little spot. Eating goat is so common throughout the caribbean (I lived in St Lucia for a number of years) - but I hope you weren't eating peanut butter, pizza and chicken together

Echoing what Ace said, sounds as though you are the complete opposite of a boring dude...and would also love to be able to do the things that you are doing when I'm your age.

Looking forward to hearing more of your stories
    Lottie

Country
    USA

Hi Lottie. I didn't have to eat any goat on Bonaire. In fact the food available at the market was not only quite good but not that expensive. I was a bad boy and ate bacon once almost every day. It was only 2 weeks - so what the heck. But beef and chicken and pork were more abundant than goat. Must be due to the proximity of Venezuela.

As far as my age - it's catching up with me. I had to give up soccer this year as my hip needed cortisone shots twice. I was told "Keep playing. Soon you will find out how well you can play soccer and dive from a wheel chair." That was enough to retire me from soccer.

I plan to dive till I die though. In fact, shortly I'm off for a two hour drive to (most likely) purchase a couple of tanks (I've been renting so far). Two 80 CF steel tanks, 2004 vintage, supposidly pristine condition, filled in September so must still be in Vis and Hydro. $100 - that's for both. Am I lucky or what?

I hate carrying weight and have always hated the +bouyancy of a near empty aluminum. With these tanks I'll be able to drop a lot of lead. I just hope I'm not going to be disappointed when I see the tanks. They are LP (less stress on my regs) but still the same size as an AL-80 and about 5# lighter (even less weight to deal with on the surface). Da da dat, da da - I'm lovin' it. (LOL McD's theme song)
    The only thing I believe in is disbelief - except in the case of unexpected miracles.

Registered Users

hello .. i am Kenvin from USA , Ak , Anchorage,nice to meet you,im just new here ..i 'll hope that i can have new friend here

Registered Users

It is wonderful to hear your diving stories and experiences. ...

Registered Users

It's got a small pocket 90-110 feet deep (depending on the rain). I want to see what's down there. I caughht a 40 inch eel in that lake and I wonder if that's where they hang out. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast