Registered Users
    City
    Manchester
    State
    MA
    Country
    USA

Default Dumb question time

So, like everyone else, I dreamt about pirates and treasure when I was a kid. I'm glancing through the treasure hunters forum and a pretty dumb question occurs to me. Is there actually anywhere you can go and dive and have a fair chance of finding an old coin? Maybe even like a pay dive site? Or is it a case of searching and searching on your own and then maybe you'll get lucky, but more likely you'll never find anything? Thanks for the replies in advance.

Kristopher

Country
    USA

You can always contact the Mel Fisher group who does that sort of thing.
    SMN Publisher

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by knfmn View Post
    Is there actually anywhere you can go and dive and have a fair chance of finding an old coin?

You can take a metal detector and dive near the shore line of any public swimming area and you will find some coins.

Other then that NO.

Registered Users
    City
    Manchester
    State
    MA
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    You can take a metal detector and dive near the shore line of any public swimming area and you will find some coins.

Other then that NO.
    Ok. Fair enough. I have a (non waterproof) metal detector and usually pull a fair amount of change off the beach when I get it out. I'm a huge fan of looking around the snack bar areas. All the kids dropping mom and dads money pay for a lot of batteries...lol.

Kristopher

Country
    USA

I think it would be more fun to use those locators to look for gold out in the sticks.

I know that civil war era battlefields often turn up civil war coins.
    SMN Publisher

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

A lot of the battlefield sties do not allow metal detecting for many reasons.

Anyway, if you are serious about underwater treasure hunting a good underwater metal detector is the first step for sure. There can be quite a bit more to find other then just coins!

As far as finding pirate treasure, most likely never going to happen.....but it is always fun to dream and hope.....worst case you get in a ton of diving!

Registered Users
    City
    Newquay
    State
    Cornwall
    Country
    UK

As already said you have to just keep looking. I have spent many hours looking including a couple of archaeological trips, I have found hundreds of things but no coins yet.

I have 2 more archaeological trips that I will be on, one is a repeat trip, looking for 100,000 pieces of eight. The guy who finances that trip has found 2 coins himself.
    For PSAI/SSI/SDI/TDI Diver Training or RHIB Charter in Cornwall visit - Atlantic Scuba

Yes it is possible - but not the way you make it sound so simple! It take quite a bit of money to invest in the correct equipment and support team to go hunting for coins and small wrecks.

However if you go to the usual touristic dive site you can find lots of dive 'treasure'. I have found bottles of beer. Dive masks and so on !
    Amazing scuba diving stories on myscubastory.com the new user-submitted story forum

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

A used mask treasure? Well if that's the case I am always finding treasure. I found a treasure on a common artificial wreck site in Florida. The mas was even useable after I scraped off two barnacles. I also found treasure in the form of a mask on the ladder at our local quarry. It didn't fit, but it looked like a brand new mask...in fact I think my wife uses that mask. I also have found some snorkeling gear on the beach while driving through the keys a few weeks ago. I ended up picking it up so it didn't get washed away and left it on a picnic table in hopes the owners came back.

Registered Users
    City
    Newquay
    State
    Cornwall
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by myscubastory View Post
    Yes it is possible - but not the way you make it sound so simple! It take quite a bit of money to invest in the correct equipment and support team to go hunting for coins and small wrecks.
    I have a twin engined rib with magnetometer, a side scan is due shortly. I have 2 underwater metal detectors and also have a portable petrol engined hydrovane compressor running an airlift pump for excavating.

I have some amazing friends who have access to all sorts of information regarding last known positions, naval records, U-Boat kills, Time newspaper databases etc.

I also have some very experienced UK diver friends who will join me on any trip for fun.

The hardest bit is lifting 64kg copper ingots from a wreck 90m down, solo, by hand.
    For PSAI/SSI/SDI/TDI Diver Training or RHIB Charter in Cornwall visit - Atlantic Scuba

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast