Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dumb question time

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Okeanos View Post
    I have a twin engined rib with magnetometer, a side scan is due shortly. I have 2 underwater metal detectors and also have a portable petrol engined hydrovane compressor running an airlift pump for excavating.

I have some amazing friends who have access to all sorts of information regarding last known positions, naval records, U-Boat kills, Time newspaper databases etc.

I also have some very experienced UK diver friends who will join me on any trip for fun.

The hardest bit is lifting 64kg copper ingots from a wreck 90m down, solo, by hand.

I bet in about 10 lifetimes you could pay off about a tenth of the cost of all of that equipment with your findings. I am glad that someone has the money to burn to do these things, but for the majority of divers even an underwater metal detector is going to be a big cost.

Registered Users
    City
    Newquay
    State
    Cornwall
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    I bet in about 10 lifetimes you could pay off about a tenth of the cost of all of that equipment with your findings. I am glad that someone has the money to burn to do these things, but for the majority of divers even an underwater metal detector is going to be a big cost.
    That comment isn't 100% accurate in several aspects.

Equipment hasn't got to be expensive, the Hydrovane was an ex-railways machine, the airlift pump I made out of plumbing bits, the magnetometer and one of the metal detectors was from a dive club, the other detector was from ebay. Sidescan isn't going to be cheap and the boat is a charter boat that generates enough income to buy it and run it.

If I exclude the boat cost, my rebreather cost more than the rest put together and I bought that 2nd hand!

If the weather was good I could recover the total cost in about 3-5 weeks.

p.s. I even built an ROV for under £200, only goes to 20m but it can save a lot of mucking about when hunting for things.
    For PSAI/SSI/SDI/TDI Diver Training or RHIB Charter in Cornwall visit - Atlantic Scuba

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Along the Florida Coast you can still find Spanish treasure that still washes up on the beach from time to time! There was a large fleet that went down on the east coast during a hurricane in the early 1800th century!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12