Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
I don't know how long you have been crossing boarders, but it has NOT always been like that. I clearly remember going back and forth from the US to Canada and all I had to do was show the boarder patrol agent my drivers license and tell them I was on vacation. I didn't even have to get out of my car, and the agent didn't get out of his booth. It was just as quick and easy as going through a toll plaza on the highway. By the way, this was for New Years 2000, so you must not have been crossing boarders for very long.
I agree, for the most part it was very easy. But not always. The point I was trying to make is that they have always, had the right to deny access, on a whim, if they felt like it. As an example. I work for a Canadian company in Canada. We have a branch in San Diego that I'm required to visit ocassionally. Six times since 2004. My first visit in 2004, the US Customs guy, when told that I was travelling to our branch on business, apparently was worried that I was going to the US to take away employment from a US citizen or something & denied me access. Even though I had a return flight booked, which I would consider further proof that I wasn't going there to steal a job. The co worker that I was travelling with, talked to another customs guy in the next booth & away he went, on to San Diego. Seems like a whim to me. One of the Customs agents in a ****ty mood perhaps. I had to rebook my flight for the next day & since then we have always travelled with a signed letter from our corporate lawyer, expaining that I work for the company, in Canada, will be returning to Canada, & will be paid by our company in Canada & that I have no intention of abandoning my residence in Canada. I have had to produce this letter each time.