Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drysuit Silicone Wrist & Neck Seals

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Rcontrera View Post
    In the case of neoprene cement like what is used by DUI and Harvey's, it does soften the glue by loosening the bond between the neoprene particles in the glue.

But you're right that it leaves a residue that, if not cleaned properly, can keep those glued from sticking. OS Systems has promoted the used of silicone since 1981 and it works so good that several drysuit manufacturers have tried to get the same glue but have failed because it is a proprietary product.
    Gotcha, I have a Bare and a Moby's dry suits and have not had to replace any seals on them yet....YET. I had on older suit a while back, I think it was in Imperial. Replacing the seals on that SUCKED!!!! I actually don't think I ever did finish and ended up buying my Bare.

Anyway, no matter what I am thrilled to see that companies are starting to address the dry suit seal issue as it has been an ongoing problem that no one has seemed to even come close to perfecting yet.

Registered Users
    City
    Newquay
    State
    Cornwall
    Country
    UK

My seals last as long as my suits, 2-2.5 years max, around 1000 dives. Silicon may be more comfortable than latex but I've switched to neoprene now.
    For PSAI/SSI/SDI/TDI Diver Training or RHIB Charter in Cornwall visit - Atlantic Scuba

City
    Port Orchard
    State
    WA
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    I had on older suit a while back, I think it was in Imperial. Replacing the seals on that SUCKED!!!!
    The old Imperial is actually the suit that we did most of our glue experimenting on. We supplied glues and latex to Parkway (the old owner of Imperial) near the end of the regime and it got our processes down pat! We used silicone to preserve and lubricate the latex making them last a LONG time. However, it required using MEK to clean the residue from the suit when changing seals. Not a big deal but did add one additional step.

However, Parkway/Imperial decided not to endorse the silicone since they wanted to sell seals and also had a huge corner on the neoprene cement market with their "Old Man" glue. So they said to use talc ... which does a great job at hiding rubber degradation.
    Ray
    ==================
    www.CompressorStuff.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12