Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Recommended Resorts around the Anilao and Lemery (Batangas) area

Thread: Recommended Resorts around the Anilao and Lemery (Batangas) area

Registered Users

Default Recommended Resorts around the Anilao and Lemery (Batangas) area

Dear all,

An article was written for and is to be published in Southern Living Magazine. I am not sure if it is a local Magazine or an American Publication. However, the writer sent me a copy of the article so I would like to share it with you. Mod, somehow I cannot attach the file, so allow me to just paste it along with my post.

Hope this helps anyone who wishes to come around the Philippines. Summer is coming real soon...diving season again!!

----

Weekend Resort Hideaways
    Dive professionals list their favorite homes-away-from-home in Batangas.
    By Lu-Ann G. Fuentes

The blue waters of Batangas—being only a two-hour-and-a-half drive from Manila—have “baptized” many, me included, into the diving community. That Independence Day weekend six years ago proved fitting as I surfaced from my open water check-out dive with a larger appreciation of two-thirds of our planet. Fortunately for me, along with that initiation into a submerged world came a built-in network all set to walk, er, fin every novice diver through it.
    My own set of teachers consists of: Jay Ortiz (mobile 0917-8992000), who took me from house reef to liveaboard diving; Jimbo Jimenez (mobile 0920-9509631), first to introduce me to night diving; and Ian Paredes (0917-8395515) who gave me my advanced certification. All three are fathers, businessmen, and—long before they were either—avid divers, who, in their over-a-decade underwater exploration and instruction, can easily point to where I want or need to go next. And that includes (even before gearing up and getting into a dive banca) planning where to stay in Batangas.
    With diving in its waters being possible all year round (though between November and June—sitting out the typhoon season—is best), its coastline is adorned with resorts that spoil divers for choice. Jay, Ian, and Jimbo help narrow it down by naming the ones they most frequent.
    Ardent divers who naturally want to get more dives for their money go to Aquaventure Reef Club (tel. 5326681, mobile 09189291648) in Anilao. Overnight packages that include four buffet meals range from P2,700 per person for twin sharing to P3,200 for single occupancy. Day trip charge is at least P500. Jay and Ian both cite the friendly staff and excellent service. “Still the best buffet food,” Jimbo says. “Their restaurant also prepares ala carte meals,” Ian adds. Jay describes its party atmosphere as welcoming especially to new divers. An open-air bar invites sunset cocktails by the deck that lead into fun evening get-togethers.

Solana (mobile 0917-3001086) in San Teodoro, Mabini also gets the thumbs-up for its facilities, service, food, and laidback ambiance. “When you want a weekend getaway that’s similar to Palawan resorts, this is the place,” Jay says. Ian counts as bonus “the seasonal beach that forms in front of the house reef.” Their beachfront and hillside rooms (air conditioned with hot shower and intercom) have their own spacious veranda for taking in the panoramic sight of sea and sky. Rates range from $90 to $150 per head per night.

If you want to bring a non-diver date, Jay says, you can’t go wrong with Planet Dive (tel. 4370090, mobile 0927-2308008) in San Teodoro, Mabini. “Right in front of the resort is a nice reef for diving or snorkeling.” Jimbo also notes that the resort is close to the dive sites, and its ocean-view rooms are perfectly relaxing. Day trip rates range from P700 for a non-diver (includes buffet lunch, use of snorkeling gear and kayak) to P1,500 for a diver (includes buffet lunch, two boat dives, and unlimited shore dives). Overnight packages bundling four buffet meals range from P1,800 per non-diver for quad sharing to P4,300 per diver for single occupancy.

Dive & Trek (tel. 8518746, mobile 0920-9064123) in San Pablo, Bauan gets Ian’s best-value-for-money award. As he puts it, “Where else in Anilao can you find a school of jacks, pawikan, and sharks less than 100 meters from the shore?” Jimbo confirms the appeal of “unlimited diving in what can be argued as the best house reef in Batangas.” Jay adds that non-divers, with mask and snorkel, can also experience the marine sanctuary’s teeming reef life. The resort has a seaside swimming pool, volleyball court, and conference rooms. Rates range from P1,350 (day trip snorkeling package with lunch and boat transfers) to P4,350 (overnight package includes an air-conditioned room, four meals, and unlimited dives).

Eagle Point (tel. 8133653) in Bagalangit, Mabini is ideal for families or groups with non-divers, Ian says, because of its swimming pools (saltwater and freshwater, the latter with waterfalls and waterslide), children’s playground, game room, cable TV and other creature comforts. Jimbo says the saltwater pool houses baby sharks rescued from fishermen’s nets for rehabilitation before eventual release—raising marine conservation awareness among guests who are invited to look, even swim with them, but not touch. Overnight rates per person range from P2,800 for triple sharing in a fan room to P5,950 for single occupancy in an air-conditioned room. A day tour package per person costs P1,600.

The fusion cuisine of Pier Uno (tel. 7437576, mobile 0917-8081877) in Anilao has reeled in Jay. “They put their own touch on a variety of Filipino, Chinese, and American dishes.” Jimbo is equally captivated with the resort’s set up of Casita rooms (from P2,200 per person for quad sharing to P4,100 single occupancy) and Kubo rooms (P2,500 per person for twin sharing and P3,200 per person for single occupancy).These overnight rates in air-conditioned rooms with hot showers (plus Cable TV for Casita) include four buffet meals. “The service is amazing,” Jimbo adds, and with the parking area located right beside the rooms, “no long walks or steep steps.”

Portulano (mobile 0917-5404257) in Bauan, according to Jay, has great food and service (“feels personalized”) while Jimbo specifically mentions how the doors to the room can be fully opened for the breeze and breathtaking view. Sunrise to night sky can be enjoyed from your own private veranda. Overnight packages per person which include four meals range from P2,150 for quad sharing in a fan room to P5,300 for single occupancy in an air-conditioned room.

Built on a rocky slope in San Teodoro Mabini, the cottages of Balai (tel. 240-2927) offer tree-framed views of the sea. “Balai’s environment is perfect for guests who enjoy just hanging-out,” Ian says. “Nice open-air lounge,” agrees Jay, “and superb food.” Overnight non-diver packages (four buffet meals and hot shower included) range from P1,850 for triple sharing to P2,800 for single occupancy. Overnight diver packages (two dives a day for two days, dive boat, dive master services included) range from P3,300 triple sharing to P4,250 single occupancy. For those who can’t sleep without air conditioning, Balai charges an additional P600 per night.

When Jimbo wants peace and quiet, his choice is Club Ocellaris (tel. 6721451, mobile 09178901073) in Anilao. Sharing a resort meal (described as world-class) and conversation with owner-operator and instructor Boy Venus leaves you in awe of the unusual and rare critters found in Batangas waters. Many photographers keen on documenting that beauty underwater consider Ocellaris as “headquarters.” And yes, the resort is named after the bright orange-and-white Ocellaris Clownfish whose symbiotic relationship with its host anemone Boy likens to us and our fragile environment. In keeping with the private feel of Ocellaris (like you’ve been invited to be a special guest in a friend’s vacation house), email boyv@clubocellaris.com to request for rates.

Jimbo has Villa Ligaya (tel. 896-6016) in Anilao on his list for their speedboats. Departing in the morning for, say, Puerto Galera or Verde Island which takes 45 minutes one-way, you can do two dives out, be back in Anilao around lunch time, and still decide if you want a third dive. An overnight package which covers buffet meals (three on weekdays, four on weekends) ranges from P1,450 for fan dorms to P3,500 for air-conditoned single-occupancy rooms. A day trip which includes a buffet lunch costs P600. Kids aged two to seven get 50% off; and if they’re younger, they’re free-of-charge.

Rockport Beach Resort (tel. 043-4080671, mobile 09175319158) is situated in a protected cove in Balite, San Luis. The motto here is “Life is good!”—which, over the years, Jay has adopted as a personal philosophy too. (Talk about positive influence.) Day trip rate per person which includes a room and buffet lunch is P600; P500 if you don’t need a room. Overnight accommodation with three buffet meals cost P1,550 with any extra meal at P350. Jay especially enjoys Rockport’s chicken pandan and lumpiang bangus. Also a plus for him is the convenience of being able to park his vehicle near the cottages.

For non-divers, any of these resorts can arrange for island hopping, cruising, private beach picnics, kayaking, trekking, recreational games, snorkeling, intro-diving—whatever you need to feel that, indeed, life is good. Certainly, every time my boat heads back to the resort after the day’s last dive, I find myself looking forward to the waiting meal and companionship, warming the heart like the comforts of home.

nice post. very comprehensive.
    It's a sin to live in the Philippines and not be able to dive.

City
    Quezon City
    Country
    Philippines

Now thats a good run through of the resorts in the area....

City
    Manila
    State
    Philippines
    Country
    Philippines

Default resorts writer posts a correction on contact no

Hi Jimbo,
    I just signed in, and--surprise, surprise--I see you posted my article . It has since been pointed out to me that Eagle Point's tel. no is 8133553, mobile 09178544944. I posted the updated copy on my personal site http://layas.blogspot.com where, by the way, if anyone's interested, I also have stories on Malapascua and Donsol. Hey, thanks for sharing my Batangas story.

Lu-Ann

Administrator

Mabuhay Lu-Ann,

Excellent article, and we'd love to see your article on the other areas too.

When we have a chance we're going to find the websites of all the resorts mentioned in your articles and we'll edit the post so the resort names are hyperlinks to their respective websites.

Salamat

City
    Manila
    State
    Philippines
    Country
    Philippines

Default resort names as hyperlinks

Yes, hyperlinks would boost that article's helpfulness (every writer's intention, right?). Thanks. I wouldn't mind sharing the Malapascua or Donsol account from http://layas.blogspot.com (First-hand accounts though -- i warn -- because that was how the magazine wanted it but the all-important how-to-get-there and contact details are in there.) Should we start a new thread on that? Er, wait. Maybe I should first explore what's already been started here on thresher sharks, mantas, or whalesharks. I confess I haven't had the chance to trawl yet. Typing here as a welcome breather between work deadlines!

Registered Users

Quote Originally Posted by PinayDiver View Post
    Yes, hyperlinks would boost that article's helpfulness (every writer's intention, right?). Thanks. I wouldn't mind sharing the Malapascua or Donsol account from http://layas.blogspot.com (First-hand accounts though -- i warn -- because that was how the magazine wanted it but the all-important how-to-get-there and contact details are in there.) Should we start a new thread on that? Er, wait. Maybe I should first explore what's already been started here on thresher sharks, mantas, or whalesharks. I confess I haven't had the chance to trawl yet. Typing here as a welcome breather between work deadlines!
    Congratulations Lu!!

Lots of positive feedback from your fantastic article!! Summers almost over...we diving soon? Oh by the way, I went back to Portulano a few weeks ago. We were so lucky that all of their other guests backed out. We had the whole resort to ourselves!!! Just me and my family with Arnel and Candy. I did ONE dive at Bahura Ligpo. I guess my eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be cuz i didn't get to see the huge eagle ray that passed us by. Haaaaay.

More articles please...

Diver / Poi Enthusiast santelmo's Avatar
    City
    Quezon City / Puerto Princesa
    State
    Manila
    Country
    Philippines

maganda ba sa Portulano? hindi ko pa na try dun e... what's the best dive resort for you in Batangas?

i've tried Outrigger, El Kapitan(Divers Sanctuary), Dive Solana, RockPort, Dive and Treck, Planet Dive and Orange Dive Resort...
    Last edited by santelmo; 05-24-2007 at 06:32 AM.

City
    Manila
    State
    Philippines
    Country
    Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by bojimbs View Post
    Congratulations Lu!!

Lots of positive feedback from your fantastic article!! Summers almost over...we diving soon? Oh by the way, I went back to Portulano a few weeks ago. We were so lucky that all of their other guests backed out. We had the whole resort to ourselves!!! Just me and my family with Arnel and Candy. I did ONE dive at Bahura Ligpo. I guess my eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be cuz i didn't get to see the huge eagle ray that passed us by. Haaaaay.

More articles please...

Santelmo,
    To answer your question, I posted Jimbo's top 10 resorts in the area (based on my article notes) at

Hello from the Center of Global Marine Biodiversity - ScubaMagazine.net Forum

Jimbo,
    Check mo nga ulit sa link above kung tama ang pi-nost ko?
    Sarap naman niyan, halos solo mo ang resort. Was that the same day that Norman did his underwater wedding? Kuwento naman! Did he write his vows on a slate or just nodded his willingness?
    I think I was at Bahura that same day too (I should've just taken control of our banca and redirected it to the underwater wedding! I would've loved to witness that). We had an interesting day ourselves. The boat anchor came off at Bahura so we unknowingly drifted. By the time, we did our backroll, we kept going down, down, down...not into a bright sandy bottom but a darker and darker cocoon of water. At 80 feet, we signalled "abort." We were in the wrong spot!
    A huge eagle ray, did you say? You missed a HUGE eagle ray? Time to have your eyesight checked, kidding
    Lu-Ann G. Fuentes rambles on at http://layas.blogspot.com
    "Today isn't any other day, you know." - Lewis Carroll

Registered Users

Default Leisure Dive Resort in Anilao Batangas

Hello Divers ,

You may also want to try out Leisure Dive Resort that just opened March 2007 . The resort is right beside Villa Ligaya . The resort offers P/ 2300,00 per person package for divers and non divers. Package include aircon room accomodatio and 4 consecutive buffet meals . The resort has a large parking space good for 20 cars.

For more inquiries, you can call 09228555956 - look for Ms. Mel .
    or send your email to leisure_dive_resort@yahoo.com.ph

Thanks , see you there someday !!