Singapore
    Country
    Singapore

Default New Law Bans Scuba Divers

Mass pee-off - a new term I learnt

New law bans scuba divers
    Powered by CDNN - Cyber Diver News Network

August 29, 2009

LIONS BAY, Canada — Scuba divers — who allegedly "take a whizz" in the parking lot — are not welcome at the fashionable seaside community of Lions Bay.

Village council has passed a bylaw banning non-resident scuba divers at Kelvin Grove Beach Park, subject to $10,000 fines.

Coun. Peach Akerhielm says council needed to address concerns about divers' "rude" behavior.

"Too many of the divers strip down to total nudity at their cars and then urinate around the parking lot, within view of residences," said Akerhielm, who was not available Sunday, on the village's community website.

"Residents have many anecdotes and photographs. Two council members have personally experienced rude and provocative behavior," she said.

Divers said residents in the upscale community of 1,400 are being unreasonable.

"Petty little minds are at work," said Glynn Miller, secretary of the Pescadero Dive Club in Vancouver.

"It seems a fascist type of move. It's definitely curbing human freedom. I can't understand why the residents are so upset," he said.

Miller said locals have never liked sharing the beach with outsiders. The park sports wolf eels, anemones and sharks, who cruise along an enormous underwater wall.

"It's tough to put your hand down without touching sponges, coral or something. The Cousteau Society says the bio-mass is amazing, moreso than tropical waters," said Miller.

He said complaints are overblown.

"Being nude is virtually impossible. Over 90 per cent wear dry suits. They have underwear on.

"I can understand people taking a whizz because you've got to pee. No facilities are supplied. Divers aren't the only ones doing it. So do people walking dogs."

One online opponent called "Karine in B.C." urged a group protest. "This is all kinds of disgusting. I say we organize a mass pee-off at the beach. Set a time and date for everyone to go."

Akerhielm said the ban is legal because council is allowed to control parking and other activities down to the area above the high water mark.

Miller said it may take a court challenge to overturn the bylaw.

"How can you stop people from diving at a public beach? The public has access to the high water line. It's the law," he said.
    "And God created great sea-animals, and every living soul that creeps with which the waters swarmed after their kind..." (MKJV) Gen 1:21

www.vimeo.com/greenturtle

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

OK, who has a good lawyer? We need to get someone with a good lawyer to go diving there, get the fine, and then bring it to court. This is such a BS law. If the problem is so serious, why not install a bathroom or portable toilets?

Registered Users
    City
    Dallas
    State
    Confusion!
    Country
    USA

Any scuba divers living in the village of Lions Bay and who also think this is a petty minded law, please make yourselves known so that anyone from outside the village wishing to dive may do so as your visitor. Bylaw No. 414, 2009 says nobody " except residents and their visitors" may scuba dive.

In fact, if there is anyone in the village (diver or not) who feels like seriously annoying a few of your neighbours, why not invite a whole bunch of divers up for the weekend. Hundreds of divers all descending on the little village of Lions Bay to enjoy the beauty of the underwater world and all guests of one good hearted local resident. Sounds like a fun time.

By the way, urinating is still illegal, resident or not, and also carries a fine of up to 10 grand.

Anyway, just a thought.
    Take only pictures, leave only bubbles!

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by shinek View Post

By the way, urinating is still illegal, resident or not, and also carries a fine of up to 10 grand.
    Really, I urinate every day. The plumber never said anything about urinating being illegal.

Anyway, don't most divers just pee in the water anyway?

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post

Anyway, don't most divers just pee in the water anyway?
    Ace - you beat me to the punch line

All I can say is....Bureaucracy gone mad....
    Lottie

Registered Users
    City
    Dallas
    State
    Confusion!
    Country
    USA

OK, OK, so I meant urinating in public is still illegal. In fact, according to the statutes for the fine village of Lions Bay, it is illegal to urinate on the highway. I don't recall seeing anything about parking lots, so maybe its OK to pee in the parking lot.

Anyway, the chances of me wanting to pee, or dive, in Lions Bay are pretty remote, so I wish those of you who are affected the best of luck in your fight.
    Take only pictures, leave only bubbles!

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Another example of the government wanting to run your life and make rules for the Peons Surprised they didn't tax it first!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Registered Users
    State
    California
    Country
    USA

I don't think this is so much the "government" as it is a council of local homeowners who don't want to share what they have with others. Talking about "urinating" and "rude behavior" makes the homeowners the victims, and therefor entitled to do as they please. People who have ocean- and river-front property always complain about swimmers, fishermen, and other folks in an effort to retain the exclusivity of their property, usually mentioning vandalism, littering, and other "rude behavior" to justify themselves.

Someone will go diving, be cited for violating the ordinance, and then it will work its way through the courts. If the law violates federal law, it will be rolled back, after the lawyers get paid.