Thread: GoPro HD uw housing test videos..2 more

Default GoPro HD uw housing test videos..2 more

HI,
    I just put up 2 more. This one shows what the camera will do in varied conditions.

The second clip just shows two different filters put over the lens.
    Videos of the west Pacific are right here: www.vimeo.com/user539429/videos.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

SWEET!!!!

I was kind of skeptical about this setup when I first learned of it. After doing a lot of research I have to say I am totally impressed. It is very basic, but takes some pretty great video for the cost. Of course this is nothing near the quality of some of the stuff out there, but it is not nearly the amount. This makes UW video available to almost any diver. I think in today's technological world, everyone likes to be able to share experiences with friends and family through photos or video.

This video couldn't have come at a better time, I just showed this to my wife yesterday and I think we are going to be ordering one soon.

Which particular model did you get? I am under the impression all 3 HD versions are identical just with different mounting hardware, but I could be wrong, let me know if I am. What video light did you use and how did you mount it? Can you go over the filters you used? I really want to know what filters you used, The little square one you placed over the lens at 17 seconds in looked really good to me. I was told that you shouldn't use filters with this camera, but I think you have proven that wrong.

I will be sure to have mine before our next trip to Florida in September. There is no point in having it up here in NJ, we have extremely low viz and low light dive conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    SWEET!!!!

Which particular model did you get? What video light did you use and how did you mount it? Can you go over the filters you used?
    Hi Acelockco, glad the videos helped. I got the helmet mounted kit and the Eye of Mine housing for it. I mounted it on a 3' pvc pipe (epoxied one of the holder clips) so I could hold it out to get closer to critters. Took quite a bit of practice t get it right becuse of the lack of an lcd on the back. But the side angle lens works well for this. By the way, min focus is about 5-6 inched. I mounted the Inon LE 550 light right behind it. You could also hand hold a video light but I wanted to stay away so my bubbles wouldn't scare the subjects as much.

I also put the helmet mount head band on a diver climbing out of the water.

Since the camera has a fixed white balance and is not adjustable, I disagree with the idea that you don't need a filter. I tried 2 of em to see what they'd do. The large one was an old Amphibico glass filter, the other a magic filter that I mounted in a filter frame. I hand held both of them but then made a velcro holder for the Amphibico.

You could also mount a filter on the flat port lens by buying a larger one (55 or 67mm) and carefully cutting velco patches to mount it outside the field of view of the lens.

Pete

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Sounds great, I would love to see a photo or two of the setup the way you modified it.

Default the last video...revised and added more closeups