Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Diver riding great white shark video

2 thoughts, First this guy, has guts. I have not seen a great white in the open ocean.

Second, if he was biten it is a shame the shark will be blamed. Animals are called wild for a reason. This diver must have spent a lot of time around Gw's and more power to him for it, he probly has a greater understanding of them, then the rest of the world.

But once on film every "jerk" diver will think he can do the same and the sharks will be at fault if someone gets killed. Are you thinking of Jack A** the Movie?

You only have to look at what was reported after Steve Erwin was killed by a stingray. Apparently the stingrays were caught and thier spikes were cut off. (of course I read this on the internet and realy haven't verified it)

On the other hand it is good to see positive footage of GW's in the open ocean.

As always this is just my rambilings....
    "I have a cunning plan..."

http://www.eoara.org/Home.html

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-h2O View Post
    You only have to look at what was reported after Steve Erwin was killed by a stingray. Apparently the stingrays were caught and thier spikes were cut off. (of course I read this on the internet and realy haven't verified it)
    Thats been going on for years but only got big publicity after his death. Anyone that got stung by a ray was in the paper for a while afterwards too.
    As to the humans = food it runs true with a lot of animals. With captive snakes it is highly reccommended that if you intend to handle them never hand feed them and never feed them through the same door as you pick them up. They become aware that a hand coming through the door means dinner time and are known to strike. On the other hand when they are fed with tongs from a different door they tend not to strike at a hand unless startled or feel threatened. Animals are intelligent creatures and can be very cunning. They dont get to the top of the food chain by making mistakes.

Matt

Thanks Matt,
    now if you can make cricket sound as simple....

I believe it is just hype to sell newspapers anyway. I am cynical like that...

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

OK now for the cricket. Stay home the Aussies will/have win/won.
    Simple enough?

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    OK now for the cricket. Stay home the Aussies will/have win/won.
    Simple enough?

Matt
    What about the "Ashes"?

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Didnt we win them? One dayers i think were a different story. Im not a real fan of it.

Matt

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Oh yeh, pull his tail ... that seems like a good idea . . .

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

You have to love someone smacking him on the nose......NOT!!!! That man forgot his funny white coat. He is on the par with snake charmers, with stunts like this.

Registered Users
    City
    Fremantle
    State
    West Australia
    Country
    Australia

A couple of years ago, I was returning from a dive in Fiji, several of us were sitting in a small, local fishing boat, happily chatting away about this, that and the other. The conversation gradually turned to cage diving with Great Whites. The fijian boat driver suddenly leaned foreward and asked "What do you want a cage for ?"
    We looked at him askance and stuttered "Well, because they are big... lots of teeth...eat people...teeth, big.. dangerous" etc,etc
    "Nah!" said the fijian, " We see them all the time here. Hand feed them!"
    "we sit on the bottom with a tuna head and wait for shark to come along, Hold tuna head up and just before shark gets to you, throw the tuna up. Shark eats the tuna! Once they've been fed, you can stroke them, pet them, hang onto their fins and go for a ride. No problem"
    We sat their, open mouthed, staring at him in fascinated horror when he suddenly looked thoughtful and completely ruined the effect by saying in a much quieter voice. " Mind you, My brother was killed by a shark!"

I did ,recently, read an article about a guy in S Africa who interacts with GWS in this sort of way. Many people think that he is mad but apparently he is the man scientists go to when doing radio tagging and that sort of thing. A intuitive understanding of shark behaviour and psychology allows him to get 'up close and personal' with GWS in a manner that would result in us mere mortals becoming nothing more than a fishy belch. He claims that individual sharks have personalities and some are friendlier than others.

IMO the most dangerous thing in the sea wears neoprene!
    SSMD Diver.

Today is a good day to Dive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast