State
    Singapore
    Country
    Singapore

Default Malaysia closes diving reefs to save coral

Well, we're glad to have dive at the sites before closure

---------------------------------
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/env...ave-coral.html

Malaysia has closed several of its world-famous diving sites including those surrounding the tropical islands of Tioman and Redang because authorities claim the coral is being killed off by global warming.

Twelve reefs that attract half a million tourists from around the world annually are now closed to divers and snorkellers until the end of October to allow the corals to recover from bleaching caused by warmer seas.

Abdul Jamal Mydin, director general of the Department of Marine Parks, said that the temperature of the seas has risen to 88F (31C) in recent months, up 4F (2C) from the normal level.

Up to 90 per cent of the coral has started to turn white meaning it is dying off, threatening the delicate ecosystem.

"We expect [the corals] to recover or at least improve." Mr Abdul Jamal said The Department of Marine Parks claimed the damaged coral was solely the result of rising sea temperatures and not tourism activities.

However, Mr Abdul Jamal explained that by banning diving, the coral will be given time to regenerate naturally.

The closures are likely to affect tourism revenue over the summer, but authorities argue the priority is to safeguard one of the country's main attractions – its coral reefs.

Environmentalists welcomed the closures, but stated that both climate change and tourism are to blame for the dying corals.

"In Malaysia, corals are facing a vast variety of threats even without the coral bleaching episodes, like uncontrolled tourism," said Yeap Chin Aik of the Malaysian Nature Society.

The Redang, Perhentian and Tiomon islands – the location for the 1958 film South Pacific – all lie less than 30 miles off the east coast of Malaysia in the South China Sea. They regularly feature in lists of the best diving spots in the world.
    "And God created great sea-animals, and every living soul that creeps with which the waters swarmed after their kind..." (MKJV) Gen 1:21

www.vimeo.com/greenturtle

Country
    USA

Well, I am not sure how banning diving or even snorkeling is going to accomplish anything, let alone for 3 months....

But good newsworthy post, thanks
    SMN Publisher

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    Well, I am not sure how banning diving or even snorkeling is going to accomplish anything, let alone for 3 months....

But good newsworthy post, thanks
    Politics and politicians that really don't know anything about the situation I guess.

City
    Newmarket
    State
    Ontario
    Country
    Canada

Default Closure of reef

Although I am saddened to hear of the temporary closure of the reefs, I have to say that I have seen WAY too much coral kicking and touching by inexperienced (poor buoyancy control) divers on any reefs I've been on.....if the mentioned reefs get the kind of tourism that the article stated, maybe they could use a break. Also to be considered is the effect of sunscreen from the divers/snorkelers on the corals as well. I hardly think that at the rate coral grows that a couple of months is going to make much difference though. Perhaps a better idea would be to section off the reef and allow diving only on certain parts while the more seriously injured are allowed sufficient time to recover?
    Also ....(and I'm sure Papa Bear will love this) maybe we should all try a little bit harder to cut back on our greenhouse emissions.

Chrispy

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I agree, that sounds like a much better idea. Allow diving on the healthy reefs while allowing only researchers/scientists on the unhealthy ones. Not only will this help tourism by allowing divers to do what they came to do, but it will guarantee them good reefs to dive on. On the other side it will allow the reefs that need help to have a better chance.

Oh, now you have me laughing.....

City
    Singapore
    State
    Singapore
    Country
    Singapore

3 more Redang dive sites shut

http://www.nst.com.my/articles/3more...sshut/Article/

KUALA TERENGGANU: Three more diving spots on Pulau Redang have been closed due to coral bleaching.
    Redang Terengganu Operators’ Association president Lee Yat Loong said divers had been advised to stay clear of Pulau Ekor Tebu, Pulau Che Isa and Pulau Tanjung Lebah until early next year.

He said the closure was the initiative of the association although all three spots were not on the Marine Park Department’s list of closed dive sites.

“Only Teluk Bakau was on the list but our checks revealed that the other three areas were also affected by coral bleaching and we recommended them to be closed as well.

“We have always been self-regulatory and through a collaboration with Reef Check Malaysia Berhad, we had highlighted the problems with the coral reefs in our area long before the announcement by the Marine Park Department,” he said.

The bleaching was caused by the rise in water temperature and not much could be done about it except for implementing a monitoring system on the condition of the coral reefs.

“It is us against Mother Nature and it looks like we are winning as the average water temperature is currently holding at between 29ºC and 30ºC compared with the 30-31ºC earlier in the year.

“We are confident of another one-degree drop in the water temperature soon and chances are the coral reefs will be back to normal in the next few months,” said Lee, adding that the dive site closures would reduce the stress on the reefs.

He said human impact on the reefs should be minimum. The closure was necessary for the authorities to conduct their studies, in addition to allowing the reefs to rest.

“But diving enthusiasts and prospective visitors to the island have nothing to worry as we have more than 20 other known diving spots in and around the island.

“Recent news coverage on the closure of dive spots has led people to assume the whole marine park was closed but that is just not true as it is still business as usual with plenty of diving and snorkelling here on
    the island,” Lee said.

On July 21, the Marine Park Department had announced the temporary closure of nine diving and snorkelling areas in Pahang, Terengganu and Kedah, in addition to three islands in Pahang, due to coral bleaching.

The affected areas in Kedah are Pulau Payar, Teluk Wangi, Pantai Damai and Coral Garden while the areas in Pahang include Pulau Rengis, Pulau Tumok, Pulau Soyak, Pulau Chebeh and Batu Matang.
    In Terengganu, Teluk Dalam,
    Tanjung Tukas Darat and Tanjung Tukas Laut in Pulau Perhentian, Teluk Air Tawar in Pulau Tenggol, and Teluk Bakau in Pulau Redang will remain closed until the end of October.
    "And God created great sea-animals, and every living soul that creeps with which the waters swarmed after their kind..." (MKJV) Gen 1:21

www.vimeo.com/greenturtle

Country
    USA

I too REALLY dislike divers that carelessly bump into things....but in fairness I have to put things in proportion.....each adult Napolean wrasse destroys an average of 1 to 2 tons of coral a year by eating it.
    SMN Publisher