Thread: 8 year old girl scuba diving video

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Default New Mask

I just got my little girl her first mask and snorkel. She was anxious to try it out!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh she's a doll!

Quote Originally Posted by lars2923 View Post
    Seasnake,

I didn't want to write it in my original post.. but it brought a slight tear to my eyes too. I was thinking that it wouldn't be manly to post... I guess we're both in touch with our ... huh-hum, femanine side...
    If I had a feminine side I am certain I would have got in touch with it before now!

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by iDiveChick View Post
    Oh she's a doll!
    Ain't she though ... *beaming pride* lol

Funny thing though ... I've had her in the water since she was a few months old. She LOVES to go swimming. But over time she got into this thing where she doesn't like to get her face wet ... I try not to make too big a deal of it and hope it's just a phase. There are little tricks we do when we teach kids to swim to get them to dunk their head, and she is awesome at working around every one of them! Anybody got any new tricks?

Quote Originally Posted by seasnake View Post
    Ain't she though ... *beaming pride* lol

Funny thing though ... I've had her in the water since she was a few months old. She LOVES to go swimming. But over time she got into this thing where she doesn't like to get her face wet ... I try not to make too big a deal of it and hope it's just a phase. There are little tricks we do when we teach kids to swim to get them to dunk their head, and she is awesome at working around every one of them! Anybody got any new tricks?
    Teach her to dive (off a board)?

Money on the bottom of the pool?

City
    Manila
    State
    Philippines
    Country
    Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by Finless View Post
    Money on the bottom of the pool?
    Finless! The mothers I know would be horrified at the cash-as-lure idea haha

Okay, Ron, I’m not a parent (except to cats and dogs) but I am an auntie to my brother’s 3 kids and godmother to friends’ many kids.

Nephew Paolo, 5, used to a pool, hated the feel of wet sand on his feet (“dirty, dirty,” he’d say). Even with a life vest on him, he had his legs locked around my waist for the first 20 minutes or so. He only made a go of it when he saw his brother (9) and sister (7) take to the water like guppies (wait, those are freshwater fishes, but you get what I mean). So, maybe, on the next outing, invite kids (who your daughter emulates) who already love the ocean. Passion is catching. Hopefully, she’ll want to be “like the other kids” despite herself.

Nicola, my friend’s kid, is turning 12. When I was at their house two weeks ago, she announced that she wants to be a diver (her mom had stopped at intro-dive). I was so proud. It also surprised/delighted me that she still remembers how, when she was 7, we hired an outrigger boat to go snorkeling near a cove. She, holding on to an inner tube for dear life, was paired with me (while her mom—deserving a break—and another girl floated on their backs to enjoy the twilight and early display of stars). She remembers how I showed her to move her legs and arms so that the bioluminescent algae lit up under us. She was even persuaded to dunk her head underwater (albeit with one arm still hooked to her flotation device), the better to marvel at the phosphorescence. So, maybe, give your daughter a marine quest. “Today, we will look at a clownfish”...or something. Better (and more memorable) than any water toy
    Last edited by PinayDiver; 04-22-2007 at 03:00 PM.
    Lu-Ann G. Fuentes rambles on at http://layas.blogspot.com
    "Today isn't any other day, you know." - Lewis Carroll

ok,ok I wasn't gonna open it but I did, and that was pretty cool..no tears tho.

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Had my daughter in the pool today to try out her snorkel. It took her a little while to get used to the idea that she could breathe with her face in! Plus the poor thing doesn't have enough power in her lungs to clear the snorkel. But she said it was . . . "cool".
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Users
    City
    Vancouver
    State
    BC
    Country
    Canada

My son is 9 and is a natural snorkeler... much better than I was at twice his age. I plan on getting him certified as soon as possible but BC is cold place to learn so I guess it will be a trip to the tropics ... maybe next summer. In the meantime, that video has inspired me to get him in the pool at least.

Country
    USA

Stickman, welcome to th SMN Community
    SMN Publisher

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast