Thread: Recommended Equipment Please

Registered Users

Question Recommended Equipment Please

Dear All,

Whilst on holiday in Turkey my partner and I tried Scuba diving. My partner was given an ill fitting mask which quickly filled with water, mine was little better. Not being detered we would like to try again when next on holiday. However we would rather take our own mask & fins, in the main we would use the equipment for snorkeling. Please can you recommend makes & models? Also I se that you can get shorter fins..are they better for snorkeling?

Thanks

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Hi Maverick, firstly welcome to scubamag, you will find a wealth of information on here.
    Secondly - recommendations of masks, there are a good number of websites out there that sell good quality equipment (e.g. scubamart et al, sorry can't remember the others off the top of my head!). One thing that I would recommend is you go to a dive-shop and try on loads of different masks and if possible do a short dive/snorkel with them in a pool.

HTH
    Lottie

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Wow, my eyes are a little off from the HUGE text you used.

Anyway, go to your local dive shop and take a look at the masks, fins and snorkels they have there. They might have some package deals, and may even offer snorkeling classes so you can actually enjoy your time on vacation. As far as choices, brands, models, etc.....none of that really matters, what matters is fit. Try on all of the masks and buy the one that fits you the best and is the most comfortable for you.

As far as fins go, smaller is better for travel because they can fit in your luggage better, but with smaller fins you will loose speed and power. I personally suggest you stick with open heel fins and get some booties. They will stay on your feet much better and are adjustable.

For a snorkel, look for something that puts the mouth piece right in front of your mouth when properly mounted to the mask. You don't want the mouth piece pulling on you (even a little) as it will really start to bother you over time.

Good luck with your snorkeling adventures!

Country
    USA

The text looks normal to me! lol

Trying on a truckload of masks, sucking in through your nose to see if it holds with no hands is the way to go, if you can test it in a pool, even better.
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users
    Country
    Malta

If you are interested in checking what to look for when buying the right snorkeling gear take a look at this guide http://www.scuba-snorkeling-adventur...equipment.html. You may find it useful.

Kris