Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My best

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Yep, Ace, those are some big fellas! I was going to ask about size limits before you mentioned it ... so as it stands now, there are none? Yeh, taking the big producers I would think will affect the stocks in the long run?? *shrug*

You say they are slow but I once watched a diver poking and teasing a large lobster like that with a knife. The lobster slothfully endured the prodding for a minute and then, quicker than you can blink, he snatched the knife away from the diver!

When the guy was telling the story later on the surface, he said "all I was thinking was 'okay boys, now he's armed'."

Snake by no means are they slow but again that's a spiny lobster. With one flick of the tail they are gone, and some how they always seem to bounce into me and half the times it's into my mask. Again taking the big lobsters will hurt the population, my motto is take seven(daily limit in CA) of his/hers kids and let him/her make seven more

City
    Los Angeles
    State
    California
    Country
    USA

I've never seen it, but I wonder if there are spinys that have the unusual colors as well. If I ever catch a blue one, or 1/2 blue 1/2 red, I'm giving them to the Aquarium of the Pacific!
    Ah-OOOOOOOGH-Ga! Dive! Dive!

I've only seen pic of the multi colored one, doubt they last long in the wild. Has anyone tried on the the colored lobster light filters? I haven't but guessing it's a waste of money.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I was not aware that the largest ones are the biggest producers. It makes sense, but then again in some animals after a certain age, they don't reproduce. I will take everyone's elses word for it though.

It really does not matter at this point as this is the last year for the big lobster here. Then again, it is not too often you see a big mutha' like those around.

As far as spiny lobster, yes they are MUCH MUCH faster than these guys here, but they can't bite back! These lobster can't swim like the spineys. They only craw, problem is they usually live hidden under broken hull plates, or in pipes, between rocks, etc. You have to reach in, grab them, and pull them out without loosing any body parts. They can also release their claws, so you have to be careful! You can not keep the broken claws either unless you have the lobster. Also no tickle sticks or anything like that allowed.

As far as maximum, I am not sure but I think it may be 6-7 /diver/day, but I have never seen that many, usually only 2-3 lobster per boat (6 pack).

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by hbh2oguard View Post
    Lotte you don't know what your missing. Personally I think it's the second best tasting animal from the ocean, right behind king crab.
    Well, i've never tasted it at all in my life (same with crab as well)...so i'm not really that bothered as to whether i'm missing out on anything. Plus it probably tastes like chicken

Down here, we have the spiny lobster...on one of my AOW dives, my instructor found one under a reef and tried to coax it out...he thinks it must have been about 2/3 foot in length !!!!
    Lottie

Thankfully they come out to feed at night. But ace are the going to have a gauge with two markers on it or is it not finalized yet? Do you know what the max and min size will be assuming you measure the carapius/body(sp?)

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I don't know what they actual sizes are going to be, they usually post a page with the limits at the begining of the year. As soon as I know I will let everyone else know.

As far as gauges go, we have never had them in NJ. Kind of strange if you ask me. So you don't have to have one on you while looking for bugs. Now that being said, I see that all sizes are usually brought up, then measured on the boat. They get tossed back if they are too small. I don't know if this is a bad thing to do or not, but it is what happens.

Now Lottie, DON'T EVER EAT CRAB OR LOBSTER

MORE FOR ME!!!!

City
    Los Angeles
    State
    California
    Country
    USA

I tried a red filter on my lights. Don't bother. If anything, it makes them more skittish.
    Ah-OOOOOOOGH-Ga! Dive! Dive!

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by lottie View Post
    Well, i've never tasted it at all in my life (same with crab as well)...so i'm not really that bothered as to whether i'm missing out on anything. Plus it probably tastes like chicken

Nah, not like chicken. It tastes more like rubber, chews like rubber too. Not a fan. I am sure Ace is lovin life!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast