Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My best

#27 darn my gps stops at #26. But anyway any bug over 5lbs starts to get tough. I prefer the just over legal two pounders. Plus your not eating the top producing lobster. I know a lot of guys would have kept it, I wouldn't have nor did you, so I must commend you. So how did you fit big boy and 5-5lbs and a 2lbs in a bag? Better question how did you stay pos. buoyant?

City
    Milton Keynes
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by iDiveChick View Post
    Lobstilla!

Now fess up, which island is producing this season?
    I was supposed to be going lobster hunting with my instructor and a few other guys, plus have a barbi on the beach (except that I don't eat lobster) but nothings been mentioned about that

When does lobster season finish??
    Lottie

City
    Los Angeles
    State
    California
    Country
    USA

The wing in my BC has 58 lbs. of lift. Plus, I used the big one as a DPV at the end; held his caripice, and he pull me back to the boat at about 4 kts.
    (For those of you trembling with rightous indignation, that was a joke.)

Bug season ends in Cali the first Wednesday following the 15th of March.
    Ah-OOOOOOOGH-Ga! Dive! Dive!

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

We aren't allowed to take them here, but these are a couple big fellas at a popular local dive spot. They are northern atlantic lobster with the front claws.
    Attached Images Attached Images

yea I don't think I'd want to try and take one of those guys snake, unless you don't like all your fingers.

Lotte you don't know what your missing. Personally I think it's the second best tasting animal from the ocean, right behind king crab.

Snake, is fishing banned because it's a marine preserve or is it only open to commerical trappers?
    Last edited by hbh2oguard; 10-12-2007 at 10:15 PM.

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Yes, lobsters here are completely the domain of commercial fisherman, and they can only be taken in traps.

Ones like these are much to big to fit in the traps and so just continue to grow.

Here is another interesting pic, a scan of a local newspaper clipping showing some lobster "anamolies" caught locally.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by seasnake; 10-16-2007 at 02:10 PM.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

They are not banned here in NJ and those are the same ones we have. And yes, they can take your finger if you are not careful. They are much slower than we are so as long as you are quick.

Now here are two nice size lobster a friend of mine bagged. Notice the porthole on the deck he also grabbed!
    Last edited by acelockco; 06-04-2008 at 02:04 AM.

City
    Newmarket
    State
    Ontario
    Country
    Canada

Thumbs down Taste?

Hey Acelockco,

I've always wondered .....when they get that big do they still taste good??
    I always assumed that when they get that big and old they would be tough or stringy or such.

Chris

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Nope, they taste just as good but take longer to cook if you can find something big enough to cook them in. I was told that they are going to change the laws here limiting the maximum size you can take. It really does not make much sense to me, but I will follow the laws when they start.

Ace it might be different with a maine lobster but with a spiny lobster once they are five pounds or so they get tough, still ok for pasta. But the big ones are the largest produces and I would strongly reccomend releaseing them because their only predators are divers, because they don't fit in traps.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast