Thread: Photos - NYPD Divers Rescue Entangle Juvenile Seal

Country
    USA

Default Photos - NYPD Divers Rescue Entangle Juvenile Seal

March 17th, 2010, Staten Island, New York

Police divers from the New York Police Department have rescued a juvenile seal entangled in monofilment fishing line off Staten Island.

The Scuba Rescue team with the NYPD Aviation Unit consisted of Detective David Roman (of Arden Heights), Detective Matthew Sherman, Detective Frankie Pellegrino (of Great Kills), Detective Neil Blainey, and Detective Fernando Angel Argote.

The group landed their rescue helicopter on the beach near Tottenville. After suiting up, divers Sherman and Pellegrino went into the water and cut the line from the seal's torso with a pair of sheers.

The entanglement of line was ensnared next to an anchor buoy used by boats and jetskiers.

“We were nervous about getting bit,” said Pellegrino. “He did make some exploratory grabs, but he was scared. At one point, I had him straddled [to keep him from splashing around].”

A crowd of onlookers had gathered on the shores during the course of the rescue, including parents and teachers from the nearby Volunteers of America (VOA) Staten Island Early Learning Center.

“I feel so sorry for him,” said Laura D’Onofrio, a speech therapist at the school, which is located at the end of Joline Avenue. “I first noticed him today around 1:30 p.m., and there were two or three other seals with him.”

“We saw him around 6 p.m. on Tuesday,” said Jody Basirico of Charleston, who had returned to the scene with her two children, Jon and Sophie, ages 7 and 9.

“I kept telling everyone, ‘I know he’s stuck, I know he’s stuck,’” she said, noting that she made several calls Tuesday night and yesterday to the city Parks Department, as well as to other wildlife organizations like the Riverhead Foundation for Marine Research and Preservation on Long Island.

Rscue Head Durham dispatched a rescue team as well as the Coast Guard to the stricken seal, but the NYPD team arrived on scene first.

“This was our first time [rescuing a seal], but you are seeing them more and more off the coast of Staten Island,” said Pellegrino. “It was joyous and happy, and so successful.”

Attached Images Attached Images
    SMN Publisher

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

awesome. Could you do us a small favor, move or remove the watermarks from the photos. I can't see the subject in at least 3 of the photos because the watermark covers them up!

Actually, unless you or someone that is employed by scubamagazine.net took the photos, they should not be watermarked anyway.