Thread: Japanese Restaurant in L.A. Caught Red Handed Serving Endangered Whale Sushi

Hybrid View

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I say forget the fines and jail time, I think we should cut them up and serve them on a plate. I bet they would get the message then!

Country
    USA

As an update to our first story we reported above, "The Hump", the sushi restaurant in Los Angeles we previously reported had been caught serving endangered whale meat will be permanently closed.

"The Hump hopes that by closing its doors, it will help bring awareness to the detrimental effects that illegal whaling has on the preservation of our ocean ecosystems and species," the statement said.

"Closing the restaurant is a self-imposed punishment on top of the fine that will be meted out by the court," the statement said. The restaurant apologized for its "illegal actions."

The restaurant owners have offered that they will make a substantial contribution to ecology organizations that devote their efforts to protecting endangered species including whales.

The Hump has been open for 12 years.

Unfortunately due to the callous actions of the head chef, now people that had been employed by the The Hump will now be jobless.
    SMN Publisher

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I think they are just trying to use this as a way to get out of being dragged through the mud. I also bet they close the place and reopen a new sushi place before the other one is even closed.

City
    Singapore
    State
    Singapore
    Country
    Singapore

Whale Sushi Restaurant Off The Hook
    http://blogs.laweekly.com/ladaily/ci...ushi-off-hook/

It looks the The Hump, the now-closed Santa Monica sushi restaurant busted for serving endangered whale sashimi last month, is off the hook: The U.S. Attorney's Office on Wednesday asked a federal judge to dismiss charges against the eatery and its sushi chef.

"We're asking for dismissal 'without prejudice' -- meaning we can refile,'' said Thom Mrozek, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney's Office. "This investigation remains open and active.''

We said that when the restaurant issued an apology, vowed to donate cash to environmental groups, admitted wrongdoing and then closed up, that we smelled a plea deal. The U.S. Attorney's Office is not saying there was a deal in place to drop the charges, but it now feels like case closed.

The Hump's parent company, Typhoon (also the name of an adjacent restaurant that serves up exotic Asian fare) and the chef were were each charged in with a misdemeanor count of serving up an endangered species. If convicted the venue and the chef could face fines of $100,000 and $200,000 respectively and as much as a year behind bars.

Federal authorities served search warrants on the eatery after a documentary film crew captured the restaurant serving up whale meat on three occasions.
    "And God created great sea-animals, and every living soul that creeps with which the waters swarmed after their kind..." (MKJV) Gen 1:21

www.vimeo.com/greenturtle

Country
    USA

Unbelievable...thanks for the heads up GT.
    SMN Publisher

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I think it is time for anyone local to that area to do something.

Not that I am telling anyone what to do, but a nice protest outside of the place would be in order.