Thread: Ok, I am in, partially anyway

City
    Northridge
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by WarmWaterdiver View Post
    I went in thinking the instructor was going to show me techniques and guide me to doing them correctly.
    Nope, they just show you how high the bar is.

The fact that it is absolutely mandatory to be fully DIR equipped is ridiculous IF the diver only does recreational diving.
    Nope, and I hope you have carefully thought this through. The reason that the equipment is standardized is so that if you show up out here to dive with me, your gear is the same as my gear and if I had to reach for your knife, I would know where it is without looking at you.

But why should the recreational diver who only dives on reefs, over wrecks and in open water with no overheads, need a 7 foot hose on their primary reg?
    You primary on your 7 foot hose is not for you, it is for me, your team mate. If I have a catastrophic loss of air, you are carrying my pony bottle on your back. It would be nice if I could back kick 7 feet away from you to maintain my buoyancy as we ascend, instead of being up in your grill.

Then I think, for $2500, I could have had a week in some carribean paradise. I am not trying to rip GUE, DIR or the course. I gave an account of my experience and how it affected me. Everyone speaks highly of it, I have heard nothing but great things about the course and wonder what did I miss? I admit I seem to be alone with my discontent and invite everyone reading this to consider that the opinions vastly favor the course and I am alone.
    Nope you are not alone, everybody that passes thru fundies feels the same way. The power is that you had the balls to try. You got your moneys worth. It rocked your world, and you are better for it.

Stings dont it!

What you got, an appreciation of the BASICS, what any/every PADI/SSI instructor SHOULD have taught you in OW class. Actually I am a PADI DiveMaster and what you learned in fundies is in the first three pages of the PADI OW manual.

What your divebuddies get: A competent team mate who when fit hits the shan, you will bring them home safely to their loved ones.

Yup, you got your money's worth. Look at how many times a week you will practice number 3 of 5 (OOA/S drill). How many recreational divers with 200 dives practice number three.

Again, congrats. The koolaid is bitter at first tho you develop a taste for it, and it is SCHWEET!

Tevis
    Last edited by Archangel; 03-09-2007 at 04:49 AM.

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Talking

Archangel,

Well said!!! I like the fin hitting the shan example.

City
    Northridge
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by amtrosie View Post
    Archangel,

Well said!!! I like the fin hitting the shan example.
    hoo rah my DIR Brother. . .

hoo rah

T

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Archangel,

I drank of the koolaid yesterday, and man was it sweeeeeeeeeet! Even the big pooh-bah was there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12