Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok, I am in, partially anyway

Talking Ok, I am in, partially anyway

Last edited by WarmWaterdiver; 03-20-2007 at 07:55 PM.

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Don't you know that you MUST consult a tax attorney before embarking on the DIR road? LOL Don't worry, the creditors can't call you while you are diving.....so stay down as much as possible!!! Trust me on this, for I know of what I am speaking!

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Does your smartcom have a "gauge" mode? I use a Suunto vyper and when I do my little "tech" dives I just use it in gauge mode. Otherwise I use it as a dive computer. As a "gauge" it is water activated, still keeps track of depth and time, and logs the dive in the log book too. It just doesn't annoy me with deco info, since we are going off tables.
    That's one plus you will get from the Fundies course ... you will know and be able to use those GUE tables! Those magic, calculate on the fly, scribbles in your wet notes ...
    Something tells me by the time you are at the end of the course you will have a cannister light and wrist mount compass on order ... but I look forward to hearing what you thought of the training.

Ron

Good luck, And don't drink too much koolaid.

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Enjoy your class, Mark is rumored to be a great instructor. Your first experience in a BP/W setup sounds like most who have made the switch; hard to believe that something so seemingly low tech (as compared to today's line up of modern BC's) can be so damn comfortable as well as functional. The only time you will really notice the crotch strap is if you ever start scootering (the 2in definitely offers some advantages over the 1in straps ).

WWD, make sure you offer to do something for pay, then write off all your training and equipment as a business expense.

Writing about your training experiences and thoughts here would not only fit the bill, but might garner further interest in DIR diving.

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by WarmWaterdiver View Post
    But why should the recreational diver who only dives on reefs, over wrecks and in open water with no overheads, need a 7 foot hose on their primary reg?
    They do allow a 5' hose for open water diving, isn't that true??

I remember the first time I tried out the bp/wing and doubles ... the double steel tanks threw my trim off so bad I spent the entire dive inverted head down. I remember thinking 'I'm never going to be able to do this . . .'. I've only got a few hundred dives in that set up and still find it more awkward then my old jacket style BC, but the practice, practice thing really does help. I just started doing EVERY dive in my doubles, just so I could get used to them. People looked at me strange doing 30' dives in doubles, but I figured the only way to get used to them is use them.

The same modified hogarthian set up can be applied to single tank diving too, but I've yet to buy a single tank bladder and adapter for my backplate. I'm thinking that might be a little easier to handle underwater, too?

Try to stay positive ... Anyone can go on a Caribbean vacation ... *pffft* where's the challenge in that?

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by WarmWaterdiver View Post
    And speaking of which, I think that valve drill is ridiculous. Anyone jumping in the water without testing their regs and inflator to be sure they are working and the air is on, deserves to be weeded out from the living. I can promise I am never turning my gas off underwater so I see no need to turn them back on.
    Interesting ... Did the instructor discuss "why" you were learning how to turn your valves off and on?

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

I wouldn't want to be the guy to jump in without my air on in a GUE course!

That skill can be used too for when you have a failure on your manifold or a freeflowing reg. You can shut down the offending post and conserve your gas supply.

Up here you can have a reg freeflow from freezing in the cold water. Often times shutting that valve down for a while will let the reg thaw out and you can open the valve up again and be good to go ...

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

There are indeed many reasons for doing the out-of-gas drills, not the least of which is the jump in the water w/o gas on. One of the points of emphasis is the "situational awareness" thing. To be able to diagnose a problem without panic, or finding one self in an unintended problem and being able to extircate yourself, or your buddy is $2500 dollars well spent. Living to enjoy another day is "priceless". I would agree with your assessment of not having spent enough time with your gear before doing the course was not a positive thing to do and I think that your perception of the course might have been different had you been able to work on the skills rather than deal with your gear. I would hope that you would take what you observed and learned, practise to a level that enable you to be the "best" diver in the water. You will be a better buddy, and ecoligically conscience diver in the end.

Take a deep breath, allow the emotions of the class to subside and utilize the content of the class for YOUR BETTERMENT. Remember, he does not grow that first does not endure the pressure of molding process.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast