Thread: Juvenile Whale Shark Deliberately Killed in Batangas- Graphic Photos

Country
    USA

Default Juvenile Whale Shark Deliberately Killed in Batangas- Graphic Photos

February 15th, 2010- Anilao

We are getting multiple unconfirmed reports in that a whale shark, possibly a juvenile has been found floundering in the Anilao, Philippines region with its fins cut off, only to die shortly thereafter.

As info comes in, we will keep you posted.
    SMN Publisher

Country
    USA

February 16th, 2010

As an update, the maimed juvenile whale shark that was discovered by divers in the Anilao region of the Philippines has sadly passed way in the night from the cruelty inflicted upon it when its fins and tail were cut off.

The whale shark, also known as a butanding in local dialect, was discovered on the nearby shores of Maricaban early Monday morning by local and American divers.

Calls were placed the same early morning to Rey Manalo, who heads up the local volunteer marine life protection detail called Bantay-Dagat.

“The whale shark was very weak when we left it at 5 p.m.,” he said.

Rey Manalo says he believes the whale shark was caught perhaps by accident in local fisherman's nets, and they they may have cut off its fins and tails to make it easier to save the fishing net than damage the net.

Even though local volunteers established a vigil throughout the night staying with the juvenile whale shark, it died of its injuries and was buried by the Bantay-Dagat patrol Tuesday.

Local and International divers are expressing outrage, both at the senseless cruelty of the slaughter of this gentle giant, and as well as towards the Bantay-Dagat, also known as Sea Patrol, who are subsidized by fees paid by divers to dive in the local region.

The really sad thing about all of this is just how senseless it was, and how it is a public relations nightmare for Pinas dive tourism promotion.

For the tiny cost of a fishing net, something the local and International dive community communicating via social networking sites could and would have easily reimbursed the fisherman for, what could have been an fantastic positive publicity event and story, instead was turned into a senseless death and public relations nightmare, all over the cost of a damn fishing net.

Sec. 97 of RA 8550 and Fisheries Administrative Order 193 prohibits the catching of whale sharks and manta rays. Violation to the law carries 6 months to 4 years imprisonment as penalty.

photos by Peter Garraty /Darren Gilkison
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SMN Publisher

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

That really makes me upset.

City
    Singapore
    State
    Singapore
    Country
    Singapore

This is indeed very sad!
    "And God created great sea-animals, and every living soul that creeps with which the waters swarmed after their kind..." (MKJV) Gen 1:21

www.vimeo.com/greenturtle

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

now that I have seen the photos, I must say it is disgusting how a human could do something like that.

An eye for an eye, and arm for a fin. I hope they find the people that did this and cut their arms off!

Registered Users

Default What a waste

What a selfish, ignorant and cruel act.
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Registered Users

Default Maybe this is the one you are talking about...

Please check out the clip i edited, raw footage is in my favorite lists...

Due to this Sad Killing,i decided to form a Group on facebook "Saving Our Sharks from a bowl of soup" hoping to reach n educate more people about our Sharks n the cause is also killing us.Feel free to join n help the group to grow...

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=...11819872167679

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    February 15th, 2010- Anilao

We are getting multiple unconfirmed reports in that a whale shark, possibly a juvenile has been found floundering in the Anilao, Philippines region with its fins cut off, only to die shortly thereafter.

As info comes in, we will keep you posted.