City
    Laguna Hills
    State
    CA
    Country
    USA

Default Looking for advice on UW Video Systems

Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a new video camera & housing, I need to upgrade from my 20+ yr old system.

With all the new technology out there, I have no idea what to look for. What do you all suggest?

Budget tops off at $3,500 if this helps in recommendations.

Thanks,
    Danny

Country
    USA

Danny,

It depends on whether you want to shoot wide angle only, or also shoot macro which really requires lights.

The lights are a big ticket item, that is why I asked. A friend of mine just bought an Amphibico housing and lights for just under $3500, he already had the videocam.

Look for a good quality optical dome port. All the major manufacturers of aluminum housings, Amphibico, Gates, Light and Motion make good housings and have good dome ports.

If you don't want to bust your budget, the Equinox housings are good deal. Equinox has their own manufacturers forum here, post something there if you have any Equinox specific questions.

Make SURE whatever housing you get has a white balance control! I would not take a housing for free without it.
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users

Hi Danny,
    it really all depends what you want to do with it?
    What I learned through the years, stay away from a polycarbonate housing, buy a solid housing to put your camera in.
    I fully agree with Dave, white balance is an essential item you have to be able to control. Check housings from Gates, Amphibico and Light and Motion and camera models mode for these housings. I wouldn't trust any other company to put my camera in. Let us know what you have in mind.
    best regards, Klemens