Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to this group and fairly new to scuba diving

Country
    USA

After 37 years of diving, certain things still give me the heebie-jeebies, like diving in really poor visibility and descending feet first and my feet hit the bottom before I can see it...
    SMN Publisher

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Welcome to the Board! Aruba is a lot of wreck diving and the reefs are lacking compared C & B of he ABCs!

It is better when new to be 2lbs heavy than light! So add a couple extra lbs! Everything in the water should be slow motion!

Blood from the nose is very common and has very little do with ear clearing! Start on the surface and continue all the way gently blowing against your closed nose while moving your head from side to side stretching your neck as far as possible! It will become easier the more you do it!

Keep all things out of your ears and do not remove the natural wax with a q-tip! They cause micro abrasions and allow infections in! Use ear beer after each dive! 1/3 alcohol 1/3 white vinegar 1/3 water in a dropper bottle and you will not have a problem!

Barotrauma https://health.google.com/health/ref/Ear+barotrauma is from pushing through the pain instead of equalizing! So be sure to equalize as you go each dive and every time you go deeper!

Good luck and happy diving! Feel free to ask you will get a lot of opinions!

Don't waste your money on masks and ear plugs until you know there is a problem you can't cure any other way!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    After 37 years of diving, certain things still give me the heebie-jeebies, liek diving in really poor visibility and descending feet first and my feet hit the bottom before I can see it...
    Try being a PSD and doing 100ft in pitch black water! No problem! Been there done that!
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by raeskates View Post
    Why is he coming up too fast? Well, he is still not very comfortable with finding how to hover. We are planning on taking a refresher course and then going to a lake or quarry to practice in shallow water. I think it's because he's so afraid to touch the bottom (obviously doesn't want to destroy coral or in the quarry, stir up the bottom so you can't see) and so he tries to add air to his BCD, instead of taking a deeper breath or just kicking upward as he gets too close to the bottom. He was not much of a swimmer to start with (He could float but that was it). Until we did this he had never put his head below the water, so I am very proud of what he has achieved so far, but he is still not much of a natural underwater. In Hawaii, we did have our own personal dive master and did a shallow shore dive. He was able to do it, with no nose bleed and no ear problems, so I do think that it would help just ot get more practice.

Thanks for the info about the earplugs.

Sounds like you both have accomplished a lot. The key is practice so he becomes comfortable under the water. Also as Papa said, take it slow. Tell your instructor that he needs to work on his buoyancy and practice together until he really has it down. It is probably the single most important diving skill and one that is difficult for a lot of divers to master. Changing equipment (rental gear) makes it harder to learn too. If he uses the same gear every time, it will make it easier for him to become accustomed to how it works and how it's bouyancy is affected by it.

Registered Users
    City
    Bellbrook
    State
    Ohio
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
    Welcome to the Board! Aruba is a lot of wreck diving and the reefs are lacking compared C & B of he ABCs!

It is better when new to be 2lbs heavy than light! So add a couple extra lbs! Everything in the water should be slow motion!

Blood from the nose is very common and has very little do with ear clearing! Start on the surface and continue all the way genitally blowing against your closed nose while moving your head from side to side stretching your neck as far as possible! It will become easier the more you do it!

Keep all things out of your ears and do not remove the natural wax with a q-tip! They cause micro abrasions and allow infections in! Use ear beer after each dive! 1/3 alcohol 1/3 white vinegar 1/3 water in a dropper bottle and you will not have a problem!

Barotrauma https://health.google.com/health/ref/Ear+barotrauma is from pushing through the pain instead of equalizing! So be sure to equalize as you go each dive and every time you go deeper!

Don't waste your money on masks and ear plugs until you know there is a problem you can't cure any other way!
    It's interesting that you mentioned the extra weight. I was discussing with my husband all the things that everyone said, and before I read your response, he told me that he felt that he needed more weight. He feels that he can't control mostly when it's near the end of the dive and his tanks are emptier. He also told me that he felt that it was time to at least get our own BCD. The only equipment we own are our masks, snorkles, fins and boots. Since he had so many problems, we were not anxious to buy equipment that wouldn't be able to be used, if he couldn't get the ear problem cleared up.

Thanks for your help.

Rae

Registered Users
    City
    Bellbrook
    State
    Ohio
    Country
    USA

I'm sorry but I have to bring this up. I laughed so hard when I saw your spelling of "gently". At least I ***ume you meant gently and not blowing through the genitals.

Rae

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post

Blood from the nose is very common and has very little do with ear clearing! Start on the surface and continue all the way genitally blowing against your closed nose while moving your head from side to side stretching your neck as far as possible! It will become easier the more you do it!

Registered Users
    City
    Bellbrook
    State
    Ohio
    Country
    USA

Ok, one more question since you all have been so kind. Is it smart to buy a used BCD? I haven't looked for one yet, but it might be an option for us till we knowfor sure that we are going to be able to continue scuba diving.

Country
    USA

It depends on how old the liner is, and whether the nylon outer shell is breaking down from sunlight exposure. The rubber hoses can always been changed.

Good quality BC's should last at least a decade, and good deals are to be had on E-bay. I would stick with name brand ones though. I have a Zeagle that is probably still good after 20 years.

Everyone struggles to some degree when starting out, it is just part of the process. Once you try different gear over time, you get a little bit more competent each time.

That struggle people have of flopping around underwater, or on the surface, of not being weighted right, with adjustments, tweaks, etc, over time, it all goes away.

Update edit: I am seeing AWESOME deals on used Zeagle Ranger BC's on Ebay for around $100-$200. They have integrated quick release weight pouches which is a feature I always found REALLY nice and increases comfort levels.
    SMN Publisher

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by raeskates View Post
    Ok, one more question since you all have been so kind. Is it smart to buy a used BCD? I haven't looked for one yet, but it might be an option for us till we knowfor sure that we are going to be able to continue scuba diving.
    The majority of my equipment was purchased used. The biggest thing is to know what you are buying and the actual condition of the item. There are some amazing deals on new entry level equipment as well, so if you don't know what you are looking you may want to go that route as well. Even the most basic gear will get you in and out of the water safely as long as it is operating properly and you know how to use it.

Now BC's are an entire animal in themselves as there are so many different manufactures, styles and features. I personally like the wing style BC which puts the diver in a horizontal position while in the water. My wife on the other hand prefers the standard jacket style BC as it keeps her in a better position while on the surface. I have seen some XS scuba BC demos for sale for $125 each at Leisure Pro. You can also check out your local dive shop for used gear. Usually they can provide a warranty on the stuff you buy as they have serviced it, buy you NEED TO ASK.

Good luck, let us know if we can be for more help.

Ace

Registered Users

Not only does LP have demos and used equipment but we also have great specials on closeout items. You don't always have to pay full price for a new BC.

I highly encourage getting a little more dive time before purchasing gear on the flipside its a great investment but better to be sure that you into scuba for the long haul.

Safe diving!

Adam

Adam Waddell
    Leisure Pro Customer Service Amb***ador
    adamw@leisurepro.com
    www.leisurepro.com
    Last edited by adambayam; 01-29-2010 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Signature

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast