Thread: solo beach dive destinations?

Registered Users

Default solo beach dive destinations?

I really like beach diving, you get to be on your own schedule and fast as slow or fast as you want. But other than Bonaire, where can I dive on my own right at the resort? Any pacific destinations?

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by fishome25 View Post
    I really like beach diving, you get to be on your own schedule and fast as slow or fast as you want. But other than Bonaire, where can I dive on my own right at the resort? Any pacific destinations?
    I also am a HUGE fan of shore diving. I like it for the reasons you stated, but also because of a few other big reasons. The cost is one of the main things. I can't afford to pay for a dive boat trip as often as I like to dive. It is nice when I go to Florida that I can do a boat trip one day and do shore dives for the other few days. That way the costs are down, but I am able to dive more often.

I also really enjoy that my wife doesn't get sea sick when doing shore dives. It really sucks to see her sea sick!

I also like the camaraderie. I find that when doing daily boat dives, everyone is friendly on the boat and all, but after the boat is back at the dock, everyone packs up their gear and tears out of there. When doing the shore dives everyone is still friendly, but after the dive we usually BBQ some food up and all of the divers hand around for a bit to discuss the dive, share photos, exchange info., etc. Not saying that can't or shouldn't happen with boat dives, just saying what I notice.

I also really like when non divers take an interest in what I am doing. It is really enjoyable to be able to answer peoples questions about SCUBA, dispel myths, and hopefully get them more interested in SCUBA and the environment. Remember a great man once said- people protect what they love. Getting people involved in SCUBA is usually also getting them more environmentally conscious.

OK, so now that I have rambled on for so long, lets get back to Pacific shore dive locations/destinations.

What I know :

North Jetty of Humbolt Bay, Trinidad, California
    Ft. Bragg, California
    Mendocino, California
    Salt Point State Park, Jenner, California
    Santa Cruz Wharf, Santa Cruz, California
    Monterrey Bay, Monterrey, California
    Big Sur, California - JADE DIVING!!
    Point Lobos State Reserve, California
    El Refugio Beach-Palm Trees and Kelp Beds
    Goleta Beach, Goleta, California
    Lea Carillo State Beach, Malibu Beach, California
    Santa Monica Bay, California
    Veterans Park, Redondo Beach, California
    Malaga Cove, Palos Verdes, California
    SHAW'S COVE,Laguna Beach, CA
    Buccanear Pipe, Oceanside, California
    Lajolla Shores, San Diego, California
    Rocky Point/Puerto Penasco

I am sure there are a ton more, but this is the list I have. I have more information on some of the locations, just let me know what ones you would like more info on. You also might want to consult with Papa Bear and other members that live in that area.

Ace

Registered Users

I actually drove from NY to florida last spring to do some shore diving. that why I drove to have my car and jump in wherever I could. But I was really wondering internationally. Bonaire was cool because you are all on your own. But I can't find any other places. I do see many destinations with "unlimited shore diving at there house reefs" if you are with a buddy. The problem is I always want to dive way more than my girlfriend so I don't to be restricted like that.