Thread: Video, Ferry Sinks off Batangas

Country
    USA

Default Video, Ferry Sinks off Batangas

December 27th,2009

We are saddened to report that the M/V Baleno 9, a roll on roll off ferry has sunk just before midnight off Batangas, South Luzon

So far we know that 5 are reported deceased with about 20 still missing.

The Coast Guard has reported that some survivors washed ashore on Verde Island, a popular scuba destination island between Puerto Galera and Batangas.

The Baleno left the Mindoro port of Calapan about 9:30 p.m. and at about 10:30 p.m., started listing heavily, causing passengers to wake up and start jumping ship.

It is being reported that some passengers were sleeping in their cars on the ferry, and that water had entered the bow opening, causing an instability. Also, there is discussions of vehicles not secured to the vessel decking.

I have taken the Baleno ferry from Calapan to Batangas before and even though I walked around the deck where the cars and trucks were, I did not see any of them being tied down and secured.

With ferries the primary form of transportation amongst the 7107 islands in the Philippines, and poor safety and maintenance, this is a tragedy that repeats itself each year. Calls for investigation as usual have been made, charges will typically be filed, fines will be paid, and business will be as usual.

When a ferry company cuts corners, they save $, their fares are lower, more passengers use them, passenger avoid the more expensive ferries who then struggle, and with lax enforcement, market forces almost dictate these tragedies.

Until such time there is consistent enforcement, and ferry fees are universally high enough to pay for proper maintenance and staffing, and people are willing to pay for that all, this tragedy will forever repeat itself.

SMN Publisher

I think this is the second ferry that has sunk off Batangas this year. I just got back from Puerto Galera last week and we took a ferry out of Batangas. The Coast Guard was there to see us off but he didn't look all that interested at all.
    My condolences to all the families and loved one.

Country
    USA

You're right, a previous bangka ferry overturned on its way to Puerto Galera earlier this year.
    SMN Publisher