Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What medical testing should Rebreather divers get?

Registered Users
    City
    Newquay
    State
    Cornwall
    Country
    UK

Ace, perhaps you're not understanding my point.

If people had medicals they would either have to get fit or not dive. If I refuse someone onto my boat because they don't look fit, I'd refuse myself (6'3" & 273lbs) because I don't look fit even though I have a calculated VO2 max of 52.5 which proves I am fit. A medical would show who should be reasonably fit & healthy.

I see divers who get out of breath walking up a slipway, not what I call fit for diving. They Drink to excess the night before diving and generally not take care of themselves. I have had to recover a diver on my boat who was non-breathing and un-responsive, they survived. After a visit to the docs they were told to lose weight and get fit.

I would rather divers have medicals than make motor cyclists wear helmets or car drivers wear safety belts. We are over-regulated in many ways, too many ways, but I'd rather dive with people who had a better chance of making it back safely.

p.s. If I had the choice I wouldn't wear a helmet on my motorcycle nor a safety belt in my car but I'd have a medical to make sure I was safe(r) to dive.
    For PSAI/SSI/SDI/TDI Diver Training or RHIB Charter in Cornwall visit - Atlantic Scuba

Registered Users
    City
    Newquay
    State
    Cornwall
    Country
    UK

A little light reading for you - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15241540

The site is very good for studies relating to scuba diving, I have read many of these but keep finding more to read.
    For PSAI/SSI/SDI/TDI Diver Training or RHIB Charter in Cornwall visit - Atlantic Scuba

Country
    USA

Okeanos, you make valid points that many of us agree with, and my favorite is when you said "....if I had a choice...".

I prefer when the power of that choice is in the hands of a person, not the government...but, hey, I admit I am sort of FUNNY that way, lol

It is interesting how this topic has sparked interest...sort of caoses the libertarians to come out of the woodwork , adn those of us who would not know the difference between a V02 max and V02 from Brillcreme.
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users

Default What medical testing should Rebreather divers get?

There are a safety belt, we make use of motorcycle helmets. We wanted to use the Hi-Vis jackets motorcycle too, but never went through because it was a step too far.They still do not make us dive certification, however, if you are teaching or working underwater.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

however what????

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123