Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What medical testing should Rebreather divers get?

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Okeanos View Post

I think all divers should have a full medical, just to be on the safer side of things.

And you are going to pay for this, right?

Enough with the requirements, we have enough political BS to deal with already. We really don't need the government having us jump through more hoops. I say if you feel you should have a full medical, no one is stopping you from getting one, but don't force me to have one and don't make decisions for me as I am perfectly capable of making them on my own.

Country
    USA

It would be safer mandating helmet use for all operators of motor vehicles too to cut down on everything from traumatic head injuries to owies

I suppose it is a slippery slope if we mandate medical exams for CCR divers....I don't like the idea of getting the governments permission to do much of anything, but hey, I am sort of funny that way! lol.
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users
    City
    Newquay
    State
    Cornwall
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    What spammer?!
    You was hungry and ate it

Do you have spam (the meat) in the states?
    For PSAI/SSI/SDI/TDI Diver Training or RHIB Charter in Cornwall visit - Atlantic Scuba

Registered Users
    City
    Newquay
    State
    Cornwall
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    And you are going to pay for this, right?

Enough with the requirements, we have enough political BS to deal with already. We really don't need the government having us jump through more hoops. I say if you feel you should have a full medical, no one is stopping you from getting one, but don't force me to have one and don't make decisions for me as I am perfectly capable of making them on my own.
    I know where you're coming from and I would probably agree. I have to have a medical to teach or work underwater, yet I can drive a taxi/bus etc. with no medical/test whatsoever. Which is more dangerous?

I am a great believer in keeping fit (any level of fitness is better than none) and would like to see fitter divers. The HSE medical in the UK has a fitness test which is why I would like to see divers having a medical, not every year but maybe every 5 years.
    For PSAI/SSI/SDI/TDI Diver Training or RHIB Charter in Cornwall visit - Atlantic Scuba

Registered Users
    City
    Newquay
    State
    Cornwall
    Country
    UK

It would be safer mandating helmet use for all operators of motor vehicles too to cut down on everything from traumatic head injuries to owies
    They make us wear seat belts, they make us wear motorcylce helmets. They wanted us to wear hi-vis jackets on motorbikes too but that never went through as it was a step too far.

They still don't 'make us' have a certification to dive though, unless you're teaching/working underwater.

Country
    USA

All true and that did cross my mind..it all depends on whether there is a strong enough opposition lobby!
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users
    City
    Newquay
    State
    Cornwall
    Country
    UK

All true and that did cross my mind..it all depends on whether there is a strong enough opposition lobby!
    Opposition! We're English, we just take it without arguing.

Retirement age now to be 66, we say OK. French want to make retirement age 62 from 60, strikes all over the country, fuel depots blockaded, riots in the street etc.

Registered Users

Default Right Now

Diving is self regulated. Let's keep it that way. In the future, If medical exams would provide a benefit, so be it. If I have a condition that could compromise my safety, I would want to know, having an exam is a good way to know, and I am well worth the investment. What you're concerned with is someone saying 'no', you can't dive here in that condition and the cost associated with the exam. I believe I addressed the latter concern. The former is the prerogative of the property, service provider and so on. Go Dive elsewhere.

My 32% worth
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Registered Users

French want to make retirement age 62 from 60, strikes all over the country, fuel depots blockaded, riots in the street etc.
    "Live to work" or "Work to Live"

62 does not sound unreasonable
    Lars

Explore, understand, protect
    "Let's go Diving"

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

I know where you're coming from and I would probably agree.

You don't know where I am coming from, and you are not seeing my point. We already have enough government control in our lives, we don't need more. If there were a high incident rate in diving, I could see something changing but as of now diving is really a safe sport with very little injury and or death compared to many other activities.

By the way, where I live (Pennsylvania) you don't have to wear a motorcycle helmet or special clothing other then any type of eye protection you choose. Anyway, I always wear a helmet and an armored jacket with reflective material (not those ugly yellow things you guys are forced to wear, just a black jacket with a reflective stripe) every time I ride even if it is right up the road. Again, I wear them because I have the choice just as you have the choice to get a medical. Think of it as survival of the fittest.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast