Ace, perhaps you're not understanding my point.

If people had medicals they would either have to get fit or not dive. If I refuse someone onto my boat because they don't look fit, I'd refuse myself (6'3" & 273lbs) because I don't look fit even though I have a calculated VO2 max of 52.5 which proves I am fit. A medical would show who should be reasonably fit & healthy.

I see divers who get out of breath walking up a slipway, not what I call fit for diving. They Drink to excess the night before diving and generally not take care of themselves. I have had to recover a diver on my boat who was non-breathing and un-responsive, they survived. After a visit to the docs they were told to lose weight and get fit.

I would rather divers have medicals than make motor cyclists wear helmets or car drivers wear safety belts. We are over-regulated in many ways, too many ways, but I'd rather dive with people who had a better chance of making it back safely.

p.s. If I had the choice I wouldn't wear a helmet on my motorcycle nor a safety belt in my car but I'd have a medical to make sure I was safe(r) to dive.