Thread: Video - Diving Blue Springs, Manatee & Cave

Registered Users

Default Video - Diving Blue Springs, Manatee & Cave

Visited Blue Springs State Park just north of Orlando during DEMA this year. There was a single manatee in residence, a nice cave shaft to checkout, lots of great visibility, tons of Spotted Gar, Tilapia and these bizarre little sailfin catfish, running turtles and a good deal more.

More photos and info at:
    http://fksa.org/showthread.php?t=8970

Country
    USA

I did Crystal River at DEMA, I have never heard of Blue Springs...time to check it out in 2 years!
    SMN Publisher

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Looks like a blast. I love how the manatee was so curious about your camera.

Registered Users

I was surprised, it came a lot closer than it appears in the fisheye lens. It was an 1/8 inch off the lens. I think it was interested in something other than the camera though. Understand some manatee, like dolphins in captivity, get amorous at times. Or, maybe just wanted me to scratch its back or pass a head of lettuce? Got in trouble with the ranger, knew I wasn't to approach the manatee too close, had no clue I was supposed to swim away if it approached me.

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    Looks like a blast. I love how the manatee was so curious about your camera.

Country
    USA

Actually I don't believe you are supposed to swim away.

The Fish and Wildlife people produce a rules video called "Manatee Manners" that says touching them with one hand is ok, such as scratching them, which they like, bit no holding on, no impeding, no blocking, etc.
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users

Actually, they go beyond Florida Statutes and FAC at Blue Springs. I guess they have that option. The ranger specifically told me to swim away?! I asked before going in what the drill was, he said to stay 50 ft. away. Trouble is, the stream is about 30 ft. wide in places. He sort of shrugged when I brought that up. The guy was fairly civil about it. Someone else there told me they convinced the rangers to open the pool to people when the small stream fills up with a couple of hundred manatee in the cold months. What did we do in response? Understand people were jumping on manatee, using them as diving platforms, tried to tie rope on to their tails, etc.. Makes you wonder sometimes how we're still around as a species. Anyway, Blue Springs is a special case and a nice dive. Just get there before November 15, when they close it to divers and swimmers.

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    Actually I don't believe you are supposed to swim away.

The Fish and Wildlife people produce a rules video called "Manatee Manners" that says touching them with one hand is ok, such as scratching them, which they like, bit no holding on, no impeding, no blocking, etc.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

A few people were talking about Blue Springs on the dive boat the other day. They didn't mention the manatee there, but did say it was a really cool dive. I'll have to check it out.