Thread: Prescription masks/guage readers

Registered Users

Default Prescription masks/guage readers

The problem I have with the various gauge reader masks I have tried is they use a thick glue on magnifier. This allows some water to sit on the top edge of the glued on glass, and that makes for an imperfect sightline.

I finally found SeaVision masks that have the gauge readers molded in as a concave form rather than an convex, external step.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes, I have a Seavision mask too. Unfortunately, the guage reader covers too small an area for use with my cameras. I went to prescriptiondivemasks.com and ordered a custom design that covers half of the faceplate with the prescription. Much better viewing.

Registered Users

I wear glasses....so when I dive I use a 'cheap' Wintec double lens mask/black that I purchase replacement diopter lens for....under $100 and works well. Like a custom Rx mask for less that 1/2 the cost.

Aqua Lung how carries lenses with guage readers in them, just tell them what strength you need and they'll ship them right off. Very easy to apply.
    The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Quote Originally Posted by RebreatherDave View Post
    The problem I have with the various guage reader masks I have tried is they use a thick glue on magnifier. This allows some water to sit on the top edge of the glued on glass, and that makes for an imperfect sightline.

I finally found SeaVision masks that have the guage readers molded in as a concave form rather than an convex, external step.
    I use Seavision as well, and mine is bifocal.

They now are making glue on gauge reader and Rx lenses too.

They do it all, and have several nice mask models in stock.

Chad

Country
    USA

I use Prescription Dive Masks in San Diego and they make custom gauge readers for me.

The problem with most gauge readers is the magnification surface area is too small, requiring you look at whatever you need to look at with one eye. For reading a gauge, that is fine, but for underwater photography or videography where you are looking at a monitor or viewfinder, it is less than optimal.

Also, for critter finding, if you can look through both gauge readers simultaneously, it REALLY helps when looking for tiny macro critters.

PDM has a style they refer to as "executive" gauge readers which are much larger. But just talk to them, tell them you read the article here or whatever, and tell them your style of diving and optical needs. They do a lot of work for photogs and know our needs. My bonded in place +2.5 readers go up to the height of the center of my pupils. When swimming sort of horizontal during diving, I am looking above the delineation line, then as soon as something is closer, I look below the line. For the first time in years I can now look at a whip coral looking for commensal shrimp and gobies and use both eyes through the gauge readers and can look at my external HD video monitor with both eyes.

If you get the higher magnification diopter readers, be careful, as some really low volume masks that fit so close to your face had my eyelashes brushing the readers a bit which was annoying.

I switched masks and had new readers done so eliminate that. Funny thing is, while on a dive in the Philippines, spied a masks and snorkel resting on the bottom. I swam over to it, and it was all brand new. But the be4st thing is it was a black silicone version of my clear mask, so since we couldn't find the owner, I had Prescription Dive Masks do their thing and that is now my primary mask with the clear silicone version as my spare.

http://prescriptiondivemasks.com/ima...page_image.jpg
    SMN Publisher