Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kiwi Diving

Default Kiwi Diving

Hey I get the first thread in the Kiwi Divers Forum also.

We have a wide variety of diving in New Zealand ranging from the Antarctic to the sub-tropical...and everything in between.

If anyone ever has any questions or queries about NZ diving, or which operator to use, then please feel free to ask and I will do my best to find out for you.

Cheers
    Azza

Registered Users

Default Kiwi diving

Hello Azza.

When I was a teen my parents were thinking of moving us all to New Zealand.

I hear some of the biggest Yellowtail (in the amberjack family) are to be had there.

For U.S based divers, what would be a description of the type of diving to be found in Neew Zealand? Such as cold water, tropical etc?

Default Kiwi diving

Bit hard to say what the diving is like here as it changes daily. Bit like the weather
    At the moment the poor knights islands are just beginning to get good viz-15m+ the fish are doing their breeding thang so males are all full of themselves. Water temp is around 17 deg C but will get a bit colder deeper. We are up in the sub-tropical North.

If you were diving at the southern tip of the south island it would be completely different.

Hi Martin.

I'll guess that while the weather is bad it is a short hop to The Great Barrier Reef or the whole Fiji Papua New Guinea thing.

Registered Users

Azza... Hey I have seen you some place before.

Martin.... Martin off Shadowfax?

Idivechick.... thanks for the heads up on the Kiwi forum
    Last edited by Packhorse; 01-02-2007 at 03:48 AM.

Registered Users

Hey Azza did you dive Motuketkete? Was up there yesterday. Nice terrain but no bugs. Got a few from the back of Kawau and some good scallies from Jones bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin the fish View Post
    Bit hard to say what the diving is like here as it changes daily. Bit like the weather
    Hey Martin. Enjoyed the dives the other day. Cheers for that.

Right up north, like the Kermadec Islands, the diving is classified as Sub Tropical and indeed the waters are with many species of soft and hard corals to be found. Huge schools of Kingfish (yellow tail) numbering into the hundreds are found.

As you come to the North Island it is probably better classified as Temperate. There are some corals to be found, like the black coral that is found at depths deeper than 50 metres, and the water temps range from 14 in winter to as high as the early 20's in summer.
    The schools of Kingfish are not so huge here but can still number in the hundreds occasionally.

As you head to the bottom of the north island, Wellington, the temperate seas and cold seas meet. There is a huge variety of fish life (although not often Kingfish) and the water temps range from 6 degrees in winter to a maximum of 18, in the top 3 metres, in summer. Below 3 metres it doesnt usually get above 15 deg celcius.
    I have (not so) fond memories of teaching classes in 1 metre viz and 6 deg celcius waters here. Brrr

As you get to the South Island the waters are much colder and murkier.
    In Fiordland the waters are between 0 and 12 deg. The top 10 metres of water in the sounds are fresh water due to the massive amounts of rain they get. This results in often murkier waters and indeed black coral grows at a depth of 12 metres, where elsewhere it is found below 50 metres.

If you get down to the Auckland Islands, or Campbell Islands the water is between 0 and 5 deg clecius. I have never dived there so I am not sure on the conditions.
    Legend has it that the wreck of the General Grant is somewhere near the Auckland Islands and holds masses of amounts of gold and treasure. I would like to go have a look someday

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Azza; 01-02-2007 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Packhorse View Post
    Hey Azza did you dive Motuketkete? Was up there yesterday. Nice terrain but no bugs. Got a few from the back of Kawau and some good scallies from Jones bay.
    Yeah. There are some bugs on Fairchilds reef in about 10-12 metres of water. Mostly small but some legal.

I gotta haul of scallies from the Coppermine. Big fat tasty ones.

Registered Users

Default Hi all

thanks iDivechick for the heads up on the forum. Hi Azza and packhorse. Good to have our own place.

Quote Originally Posted by Xman View Post
    thanks iDivechick for the heads up on the forum. Hi Azza and packhorse. Good to have our own place.
    Gday Xman
    Good to see you here.

How was the christmas and New Year period? Did you end up as reinforcements for the Mount?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast