Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Owning a Compressor - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Owning a Compressor

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by Okeanos View Post
    I have a compressor or 6!
    If you can afford 6 compressors then we are not even on the same page dude. I am a normal person that makes a normal living, I really can't afford 1 compressor let alone 6 of them.

Bottom line, cost is the reason more people don't have compressors. If they were in the sub $500 price range, then I am sure a lot more divers would have their own.

Registered Users
    City
    Newquay
    State
    Cornwall
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    If they were in the sub $500 price range
    My last 2 cost me ~$300 each, working with filters and whips. They had 3 phase motors which I changed to single phase. You just need to know where to look.
    For PSAI/SSI/SDI/TDI Diver Training or RHIB Charter in Cornwall visit - Atlantic Scuba

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

My last 2 cost me ~$300 each, working with filters and whips. They had 3 phase motors which I changed to single phase. You just need to know where to look.
    If you can tell me where to find a working $300 compressor, then I am all about buying one or two.

Registered Users
    City
    Newquay
    State
    Cornwall
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by acelockco View Post
    If you can tell me where to find a working $300 compressor, then I am all about buying one or two.
    University dive clubs, when they buy new ones the old ones get forgotten. They usually have some little problem like a stuck inlet valve, or even simpler an oily over pressure valve that just needs washing. Uni Clubs are always looking to sell the old ones in the UK they just don't know who to sell them to.
    For PSAI/SSI/SDI/TDI Diver Training or RHIB Charter in Cornwall visit - Atlantic Scuba

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

University dive clubs, when they buy new ones the old ones get forgotten. They usually have some little problem like a stuck inlet valve, or even simpler an oily over pressure valve that just needs washing. Uni Clubs are always looking to sell the old ones in the UK they just don't know who to sell them to.
    I don't know of any university that is selling a used compressor. In fact, I don't know of a university that has a dive club that even owns a compressor. I went to 3 different universities and two of them had dive clubs. Non of them had any equipment at all, in fact the club and classes were run by the local dive shop.

If you know of any, and as you said they don't know who to sell them to, give them my name.

Country
    USA

Ace, he probably means in the UK....they are hardcore divers over there, where their idea of a great dive is if visibility is up to 2 meters and the current is less than 3 mph.

I see dive compressors on Ebay now and then in the U.S.

I suppose if you own your own boat or do multiple shore dives at remote locations on expeditions, but otherwise it seems a hassle.
    SMN Publisher

State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    Ace, he probably means in the UK....they are hardcore divers over there, where their idea of a great dive is if visibility is up to 2 meters and the current is less than 3 mph.

I see dive compressors on Ebay now and then in the U.S.

I suppose if you own your own boat or do multiple shore dives at remote locations on expeditions, but otherwise it seems a hassle.

I have also seen them on FleaBay, but they are more like $4000-$30,000 there. I am not seeing anything in the sub $1000 price range that is functional and safe to use.

My original point was that compressors are priced too high for most divers and that there is really no need for one with dive shops everywhere in the US that only charge $5 for a fill.

Registered Users
    City
    Newquay
    State
    Cornwall
    Country
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    There are people that would think that but it's a common mis-conception of UK diving. Locally we get much better, below is a shot taken in low vis, the mussel ropes are 2m (6') apart

During some of the recent deeper dives off our north coast we have been getting 30m (100') vis.

Most UK universities have dive clubs fully kitted out, government & charity funded.

Registered Users
    City
    Newquay
    State
    Cornwall
    Country
    UK

Actually we are hardcore, temps down to 4C, all year round, any vis, any depth

I did 434 dives last year, around 350 in the U.K.

Country
    USA

Actually we are hardcore, temps down to 4C, all year round, any vis, any depth

I did 434 dives last year, around 350 in the U.K.
    Lol Okeanos, I knew you would eventually fess up to UK divers being hard core!

SMN Publisher

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast