Thread: Dive Books

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default Dive Books

Ok its another quiet night here so gotta ask what books you guys and girls have read and reccommend?
    My first one was The Last Dive. I read it while doing my Cav/Sink course and it made me pay attention a lot more at what i was doing and how i was doing it.
    Beyond the Deep by Bill Stone is another good read. Not so much about the diving but the cave bits are awesome.
    Caverns Measureless to Man by Sheck Exley
    The Darkness Beckons by Martin Farr.

Thats just a few out of my collection whos got any others to post?

Matt

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

I read The Last Dive and thought it was really interesting. Kind've the origins and reasons for a lot of the tech diver procedures in place today. I also thought the author's own experience getting bent was super interesting, talking about being narc'd and how that led to him messing up his dive plan . . .

just started a new book: Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson
    So far it's good. It's about a few recreation divers that found a German U boat off the Atlantic in the early 1990's which no one knew about.

Interesting reading about Lionel Crabb, MI6 special operations rebreather diver.
    Last edited by Sarah; 02-20-2007 at 08:02 PM.

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by hbh2oguard View Post
    just started a new book: Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson
    So far it's good. It's about a few recreation divers that found a German U boat off the Atlantic in the early 1990's which no one knew about.
    Dude! I just started reading this one too ... I am in about the middle, when Chatterton first went to the Navy Historical Library ...

Hard to believe that it wasn't that long ago that diving solo to 230' on air to penetrate a wreck was considered acceptable ... I suppose there are still some who do it! Fascinating reading, though . . .

So shhhhhhhhhhh! No spoilers!!

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

If you can avoid all the metal shavings from the axe that Gary Gentile is so ferventlly grinding, Shadow Divers Exposed does add some interesting insights into that discovery. Most of the book is aimed at discrediting Chatterton, but if you can overlook that part there are some good passages that actually talk about finding the wreck.

Seasnake I promise no spoilers.... I'm a full time student so it's on the back burner, too bad. Yea I was amazed how crazy those guys were, how did most of them survive!

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

I've heard of "Exposed" so I'll have to put that on the list ... Although it is all interesting general history, it's even more interesting to me as the "history" of diving, really.

City
    Burlington
    State
    KY
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by seasnake View Post
    I've heard of "Exposed" so I'll have to put that on the list ... Although it is all interesting general history, it's even more interesting to me as the "history" of diving, really.
    SDE is good as long as you do not get caught up in all the finger pointing and accusations Gentile uses. He does offer some alternative views as well as some additional material that makes it worth reading.

City
    Warner Robins
    State
    GA
    Country
    USA

Both "Shadow Divers" and "The Last Dive" are great reads.. Although, it's better, IMHO, if you read "Shadow Divers" first and then "The Last Dive."

"Diver Down" by Michael Ange is a good read.. Stories of dives gone wrong and how you can avoid them.

I also just finished "Hiding on the bottom" by James Rosemond. Not exactly a "diving" book, but a very good read by a member of another Scuba Forum. He's a diver and related the last few years after he met a real character of a person that's big into flounder hunting. Some funny bits and some good life lessons from "Scotty" who seems to have a really great outlook on life.

"Fatal Depth" by Joe Haberstroh is also a good book. Diving and deaths on the Andrea Doria. In fact, all the deaths that occur in that book are off the charter boat "Seeker" which is the boat Kohler and Chatterton used while diving the U-Who.
    **D**
    Dive Often, Dive Safe and Share Your Sport.
    My Website My Blog MySpace DiveBuddy
    Adopt a Manatee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast