Thread: Whale Sharks in Captivity at Aquarium?

Country
    USA

Default Whale Sharks in Captivity at Aquarium?

The Atlanta Aquarium in Atlanta Georgia is one of the largest aquariums in the world, and they had 4 whale sharks, 2 of which dies in captivity before living out their expected lifespan, so they acquired to more.

The first set were part of a shark quota in Taiwan, so they were destined to be eaten, although we understand Taiwan now bans the practice of catching and eating whale sharks.

I came from a salt water reef tank background. Under the right conditions carefully created by someone with a lot of knowledge and care, marine animals can live full lives without fear of predation in large tanks, but they are also deprived of suitable mates. I still have mixed feelings, as humans have a great responsibility when buying marine animals to give them a life equal too or better than in the wild, and I think anything less then they should not be kept.

We are trying to confirm reports that they are soon offering scuba diving with whale shark encounters.

I am sure the Atlanta Aquarium does a great job of raising eco-awareness, but whale sharks in captivity?

Who gets to decide, and what at are your thoughts?

whale_shark_GeorgiaAquarium.jpg

Georgia Captive Whale Shark.jpg
    SMN Publisher

Default Whale sharks and diving at Georgia Aquarium

The Georgia Aquarium has promoted a “swim and dive with” program involving their four captive whale sharks for over a year now. Most recently, they announced that PADI would be offering a specialty course for those who participate. I find this trend to be disturbing and would like to share my concerns with the diving community.

Since its inception, there has been controversy surrounding the decision of the Georgia Aquarium to acquire and include whale sharks among the many fish on display. The aquarium maintains that the primary factor affecting their decision to acquire these animals was the significant need for scientific research and public education relating to this species. In fact, it is acknowledged that the whale sharks in their exhibit were legally obtained and, although controversial, keeping pelagic whale sharks in captivity is not outside the parameters of debate within the scientific community.

There are many reasons to support the aquarium and its educational programs. Visitors to the Georgia Aquarium often leave with an enhanced appreciation of aquatic life. In our own ways, those of us involved are all trying to raise public awareness of issues affecting the ocean environment. Many trained scuba divers become enthusiastic volunteers at the aquarium and participate by cleaning the exhibits and engaging with visitors in unique and significant ways.

However, concerns about keeping the whale sharks in captivity were heightened by the deaths of two of the sharks originally obtained. Studies seem to indicate that the success rate for long term survival of captive whale sharks is less than stellar. I believe a prudent and professional reaction would be for the aquarium to make an enhanced effort to ensure that all possible precautions are taken to reduce any further threats to the remaining whale sharks. This approach would go far to facilitate the continuity of further scientific research and public education.

With this is mind, the logic and validity of the Georgia Aquarium’s program, Swim with Gentle Giants, comes into question. The aquarium describes the concept as “a new immersion program . . . that introduces you to the Aquarium’s whale shark conservation program and gives you a chance to dive with the world’s largest fish”. This swim and scuba promotion emphasizes that that this is the only place in the world where you are guaranteed to encounter a whale shark.

My position is to question the rationale that suggests that selling daily swim and scuba encounters directly into the whale shark exhibit will somehow benefit the scientific research and education that the aquarium claims is of fundamental concern. I am unaware of any source that has produced credible evidence to support the assertion that allowing swimmers and divers this access to captive whale sharks might lead to advancements that could help to preserve the species.

Promoting this endeavor by describing diving in the aquarium as one of the best dives in the world is equally disturbing. It suggests that it may be a legitimate substitute for a degraded natural environment and that we will one day reach the point where we will accept being limited to diving on artificial reefs in theme parks. To the contrary, it seems that the aquarium should focus on public education that stresses the need for action to protect all marine animal species and the overall health of ocean and other aquatic ecosystems.

As a result I would ask swimmers and divers to be thoughtful when considering their support of and participation in this endeavor. My intention is not to defame the Georgia Aquarium, but instead to urge that they reconsider their decision to offer this particular program and to carefully determine if it is truly consistent with research and educational goals that could possibly justify keeping whale sharks in captivity.