City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Default Local GWS

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...524141473.html

Whos up for a dive at Bare Island this weekend? Sounds like the resident GWS thats been around for ages. Don that used to have DiverCity at Kurnell told me about it about 4-5 years ago. Its had a few spearos bailed up on the rocks at Kurnell out towards The Leap and Yena Gap many times. There was also a report late last year of 2 harrassing the fishos at the end of the runway taking their catch and nudging boats.

Matt

I dived there that weekend (on the Saturday) - early, there were a couple of other divers around but didn't seem to be getting in - problem was there were heaps of fishos that day burleying up the water - I suspect to catch the big one. I thought if the shark didn't get me - one of the fishos would.

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Chances are it could of buggered off to the Gong for the day and nobody would of noticed it. When evolution has had your species swimming around non stop for thousands of years you tend to be good at it and very efficient. When they are swimming from South Africa to Australia and back in 6 months i dont thing it would be much more than a gentle stroll to get them that far. It could be holidaying in New Zealand this week for all we know.

Matt

I was talking to a group of divers that day and they said that they saw half of what looked like a bronze whaler off the west side of the island - so I would guess there was something large about. My mates brother is a fisho and had caught a hammerhead and bronze whaler just inside the heads of Botany Bay.

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Ive also heard reports of a dugong around but never seen it or heard from anyone that has. Also got told they feed on the sea grass in Towra Point Marine Reserve but nothing confirmed. There was a seal floating around at The Leap a couple months back but havent seen it around for a while either.

Matt