City
    Ayer
    State
    Massachusetts
    Country
    U.S.A.

Cool US Divers Conshelf Evolution

Greetings,

I am a US Divers die-hard diver. My first regulator and still in service is the Conshelf XII bought in late 1977 while being certified. Then recently bought a Conshelf XIV in amazing condition on eBay. This reg has demostrated 30 years of continuous service with the US Navy and professionals alike and has a tremendous reputation. Now here is the question. I recently learned of the Conshelf SE series of high performance, high demand regulators. The SE2, SE3, and the SE4. Seeing a really nice SE3 with a clean looking "Pivot" console and (2) 2nd stages attached and comes with a nice zippered US Divers regulator bag, I bought this one too. Now I have 2 backup / alternate regulators. Does anyone know when the SE3 model was manufactured and marketed? It looks to me judging from the newer looking Aqualung logo that it is newer than the Conshelf XII & XIV but I don't know how much later it was made. Both 2nd stages are made of ABS plastic compared with the traditional chrome plated marine brass of the earlier models. Anybody have any knowledge of the US Divers Conshelf SE3 or know where to find it? I've been searching the Internet and have found very little. Thanks very much.

The Conshelf XII has served me very well for 30+ years and I have no complaints at all. I've read online that you can't kill a Conshelf!

BTW, the SE3 has a larger diameter hose from the 1st stage to the primary 2nd stage than earlier models. It is my understanding that this provides greater air volume when the diver needs and demands it. The secondary octopus is a more standard breather with the ordinary size MP hose.

Howard.
    Last edited by howardmarshall; 10-29-2009 at 02:23 PM.

Country
    USA

Don't have an answer, but I bought a Conshelf when I was certified as a 13 year old! Great regulator!
    SMN Publisher

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

My wife still uses one as well. We are about to replace it with something a little newer soon.

Registered Users
    City
    Ayer
    State
    Massachusetts
    Country
    U.S.A.

Default Found some evidence

From what I've read online, I believe the Conshelf SE3 was manufactured and marketed around 1996. This makes sense and puts it into perspective given the history I've been able to gather regarding the many models of the Conshelf regulator.

Howard.

Registered Users
    City
    Bonita Springs
    State
    FL
    Country
    USA

Default Conshelf Regulator History

I found this site by doing a Google search for the History of the Conshelf Regulator. I started diving in 1972 with what I thought was one of the first single hose...but my narcd mind remembers it being a Conshelf 6...does any body know if this was the first single hose available in retail? No big deal, just curious.

Country
    USA

The first 2 stage, single hose regulator was known as the "Aqua-Lung".
    SMN Publisher