Thread: Viking drysuits

Registered Users

Default Viking drysuits

I have had Viking drysuits for 20 years now. They are light in weight, extremely easy to repair, the red version is very good for visibility/safety, and they dry real quick.

I have tried on their diagonal self donning zipper suit, as well as other brands of diagonal zipper so called self donning suits, and I find them much harder to get into then a standard rear entry shoulder zipper model.

Default Zip seals

I've heard good and bad things about zip seals from DUI.

Anyone have opinions?

City
    Eilat
    Country
    Israel

we have 3 DUI Trilaminate diagonal self donning ones, TSL series, no problems with zippers, just get hard after a while, we have got problems with the seals though, started to go after about 6 months with good care, too. ?!

any one know why ?

how are the Mares ones, anyone know ?
    Last edited by Diverdaniel; 06-05-2007 at 11:11 PM.

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

[QUOTE=Diverdaniel;4219]we have 3 DUI Trilaminate diagonal self donning ones, TSL series, no problems with zippers, just get hard after a while, we have got problems with the seals though, started to go after about 6 months with good care, too. ?!
    QUOTE]

What type of seals do you have? Neoprene or latex? The next question I have, provided that you have latex, is how and where do you you store your suits? With latex seals, one must be careful not to store them near ozone gas generating devices or in well lit areas. Any electric motors ie. fridges, freezers, washer, dryers, etc. will generate ozone gas and destroy the seals quickly!! (I learned this the hard way) If stored in a garage, fluorescent lights can be detrimental. Do you leave them hanging up? It is best to dry them, then store them in a dark bag, in a dark area, in a relatively cool area.

As for the self-donning front zipper, never had a problem. I do however, keep the zipper lubricated with wax. I never was co-ordinated enough to manage the rear entry suits.

The zip seals, allowing for quick changing of wrist and neck seals, have their attractions and detractions. I have dive buddies that have both (I don't), and I have yet to see the negatives as described by others. The attraction of being able to whip on a new seal in minutes, saving a dive, has a strong attraction.

City
    Eilat
    Country
    Israel

the seals are latex, yes, not contact with electric motors, direct sunlight other than b4 the dive. we hang them up zippers open in the dive center with the rest of the suits, near the air tanks. there is an electric motor on the othr side of the wall though. the room is lit with fluorescent lights. we dont wear them with any type of hairgel, lotions, aftershaves, anything that might hurt the latex, when on the boat, they are away from the petrol, not even on the same side of boat.
    only thing i can think of it the flourescent lights and the motors on the other side of the wall, doesnt sound logical, any ideas?

]and thanks for the info

City
    formerly So. Florida and missing it!
    State
    Washinton
    Country
    USA

Leaving them hanging in direct light is not going to be good for them. Remember that ozone is a gas and that can go any where, especially if that other room is vented through the area where you hang the drysuits. I have heard of a spray that is protective against ozone gas. It is reputed to be very effective. That is hear-say, not my personal experience.

City
    Eilat
    Country
    Israel

Thanks amtrosie