Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Report on Canon A640

Thread: Report on Canon A640

Registered Users

Default Report on Canon A640

Guess I'll start the ball rolling here.

Just came back (actually it's been more than 1 month) from a trip to Manado, armed with my new Canon A640.

Before I got the Camera, it was a tossup between the A640 and G7. Both have similar specs, with the major difference being the DIGIC II and DIGIC III sensor I think.

Anyway, I settled for the A640 for a couple of simple reasons:
    1) The Ikelite housing for G7 was not yet available when I made my decision, and it would have cost quite a bit more than the Ikelite housing for the A640.
    2) Inon doesn't produce mount base (yet, at that time) for Canon's G7 housing.

Since I have a macro lens from my old setup, I settled for the A640 with Ikelite housing. Now, with that housing, I wouldn't calll it a compact! Hahaha.

My Setup:
    Canon A640
    Ikelite Housing
    Inon macro lens
    Sunpack G-Flash
    Bracket and extension arm...

Anyway, had alot of fun with the camera. For most of my macro shots, I usually set to macro mode, zoom in full with my macro lens, half depress the shutter to get a focus lock, then moved the camera until I get a clear shot....probably not the best way to do it, but it works for me, I think...and probably negates any shutter lag...

The colour of this is leaf fish is so striking...

Beautiful images Strain!

It just goes to show you that one doesn't need to start off with a 12 megapixel $2000 camera and $5000 worth of housings and strobes to get remarkable photos.

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

G'day and welcome aboard Sprain nice pics. I just got myself a digi cam and housings coming this week so ill have a few shots hopefully over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by iDiveChick View Post
    It just goes to show you that one doesn't need to start off with a 12 megapixel $2000 camera and $5000 worth of housings and strobes to get remarkable photos.
    Bragging rights! He/She with the most and biggest toys wins remember. Who cares if the pics are crap when youve got all that gear and fast glass to impress everyone with. And you can blame it for the crap pics too. Ohh the setting just dont get right or wrong lense. Haha.

Matt
    Last edited by Zero; 02-05-2007 at 10:46 AM.

City
    Sydney
    State
    Nova Scotia
    Country
    Canada

Pics look awesome. I'm trying to decide on a camera right now and (at iDiveChick and others suggestion) have been looking at the Canon SD630.

City
    Sydney
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Have a look at the Oympus mju725sw. Nice little camera and its waterproof to 5m and shockproof. Gives you that peace of mind that if it has a minor flood in a housing it can still handle a bit of water.

Matt

City
    Los Angeles
    State
    California
    Country
    USA

Nice shots!
    Ah-OOOOOOOGH-Ga! Dive! Dive!

Registered Users

Nice pictures. I'm thinking of upgrading from my Canon S70 to a Canon G7. Last I heard from my neighbourhood camera dealer, Canon has already come out with a housing for the G7.

Am getting very tempted.

Van

Registered Users

I have come across this site (http://www.smartratings.com/photography/digital_cameras) that compiles the expert and user reviews for digital cameras. Maybe, it's good to go through them if you are choosing which product to buy. I'm sure they can help a lot. Just a suggestion.