Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The Coral Sea is still kicking!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Coral Sea is still kicking!

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Default The Coral Sea is still kicking!

On Aug 15th 1974 the town of Santa Barbra came to a virtual shut down for the moving of the largest boat built in the city! The Coral Sea the dream of Capt. Glen Miller was being moved in the early morning mist to the harbor for her launching! I was on one of her early voyages and a friend of Glen's, who had owned the Emerald for many years! I have many great memories aboard her, a dive boat built by a diver for divers and to chase dreams!

Well Glen Died in 1981 when he flew his helicopter into the cable and Lee's Ferry and I just read his Son Zach died in May of this year! So sad, both went way before their time!

So I wanted to know where his beloved Coral Sea was these days? Well I found her and she is doing well. She is owned by Humboldt State University and is now their Research Vessel and has had R V added to her name! She is now 13.5ft longer and looks well taken care of! If you ever had the opportunity to dive on this boat or know Glen, you know how much history and love was in this boat!

Maybe one day I will have the opportunity to go aboard her in the future or tell my stories of this great boat and her Captain!

She is doing good work and Glen and Zach would be happy and proud to know she is still sailing the waters of California!

http://www.humboldt.edu/~marinelb/do...handbook07.pdf
    Last edited by Papa Bear; 10-04-2009 at 04:01 PM.
    May all your dreams be wet ones! Visit us at Twotankedproductions.com
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

Country
    USA

That looks like it would make quite the dive boat.

Thanks for the story!
    SMN Publisher

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

So many cool stories on and about this boat! Glen got a Navy accommodation for helping a Submarine that surfaced a few hundred yard from her out near Santa Barbra Island. The Coral Sea and her divers were on a lobster hunt and the Sub had a problem with Hull platting and Glen with his on board work shop was able to fabricate a repair! So he saved a US Submarine!

Or the time Glen and Zach headed to the waters off Columbia to treasure hunt like Glen's friend Mel Fisher for a Spanish ship that was reported in the area with 450 million in treasure! Well while searching for the wreck the Colombians seized the Coral Sea and crew and they were searched and detained until the state department could free them! The Colombians through a lot of their dive gear into the Harbor never to be seen again! One of the Colombian Sailors drowned in the harbor and Zach was asked to search for the guy, but never found him! He said his Spanish was very bad so he described trying to tell the officials and the Sailor's wife with hand gestures how to use a grappling hook to drag for the body. Well he demonstrated with a finger in his mouth like catching a fish and upset everyone! He decided that the treasure hunting business might not be such a goo deal. "If they put us through this for a few pieces of Pottery how would they react to 450 million in gold and silver?" and that was that.

The boat was sold to a Florida operator and seized in a drug rad and resold. To find out she is back in California waters was and is very satisfying to me and I am sure just another chapter in her tails of the sea!
    Reed's Rod dive Tool Please help save the worlds Coral reefs! http://safemooringfoundation.org/

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Me and my dive buddy "Tinny" on the dive deck of the Coral Sea at Talcott Shoals off Santa Rosa Island.

All three where mine: 14lb, 11lb and 9.5lb Bugs!

Country
    USA

Gone are those days of lobster that size!
    SMN Publisher

City
    Singapore
    State
    Singapore
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    Gone are those days of lobster that size!
    Got to get me one of those! Looks nice for sashimi!
    "And God created great sea-animals, and every living soul that creeps with which the waters swarmed after their kind..." (MKJV) Gen 1:21

www.vimeo.com/greenturtle

Registered Users
    City
    Santa Barbara
    State
    CA
    Country
    US

Hello, I just found this post today as a moment of nostalgia had me searching for Coral Seas memories. I'm Heidi Miller, Zach's widow.

Would love to hear stories and you are most welcome to email me directly.

So happy to have found this - missing Zach much right now.

Heidi Miller

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Glen swatting flies while catching some rays on the top of his old dive boat the "Emerald" in 1973!

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Glen was known in Santa Barbara for owning a Seal and a Dog named Max! That dog would watch for seals the whole trip once the seal was taken away from Glen by F&G!

City
    Beaumont
    State
    Kalifornia
    Country
    USSA

Looking back I wish I would have taken many more photos!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast