City
    Singapore
    State
    Singapore
    Country
    Singapore

Default Some injuries after quake near Indonesia's Bali

Just got back from Bali Wed 16Sep09.

Only dive for a day (3 dives) for Mola Hunting but no luck. Current was strong and didn't get to go Crystal Bay or Manta Point as originally planned by the dive centre due to the sea conditions.

Question : Is it safe to dive after an earthquake? Would the sea conditions be favorable or would it be better to stay off the waters (for how long?) before resuming dives?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:47am IST

JAKARTA (Reuters) - An earthquake struck offshore from Indonesia's island of Bali on Saturday, causing some injuries, the meteorology agency and the health ministry said.
    Officials said no tsunami warning had been issued, but the quake at around dawn was felt strongly on the resort island.

At least seven people were injured, some hit by falling debris from buildings and others after jumping from high floors, said Rustam Pakaya, an official at Indonesia's health ministry.

The roof of a shopping mall in the island's capital of Denpasar also collapsed, the official said.

"When the quake happened I was in a market and some people started shouting and running out of the market building, leaving their belongings behind," said Putu Suartana, a resident in Singaraja in Bali.

He said lamps swayed violently after the quake.

The quake measured 6.4 on the Richter scale and its epicentre was 101 km (62.76 miles) southeast of Nusadua in Bali at a depth of 36 km, the meteorology agency said.

Indonesia suffers frequent earthquakes lying in an area of intense seismic activity where several tectonic plates meet. A quake killed at least 57 and destroyed thousands of homes in the hills of West Java on Sept 2, also causing panic and some damage in the capital Jakarta.

(Reporting by Telly Nathalia; Writing by Ed Davies, editing by Ron Popeski)
    "And God created great sea-animals, and every living soul that creeps with which the waters swarmed after their kind..." (MKJV) Gen 1:21

www.vimeo.com/greenturtle

Country
    USA

I have been thinking about doing a Bali trip....Talumben.
    SMN Publisher

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by greenturtle View Post
    Question : Is it safe to dive after an earthquake? Would the sea conditions be favorable or would it be better to stay off the waters (for how long?) before resuming dives?

Why not? The earthquake is over. On top of that it is nothing you have control over, so why even think about it. Go out and have some fun.

Country
    USA

I suppose as long as the risk of a tidal event have passed, then you should be fine.

I think I would be better off doing some deeper water dives further away from shore during an earthquake than in a building.
    SMN Publisher