Thread: Galapagos video

Registered Users

Default Galapagos video

Just got back from an amazing trip to the Galapagos. Here is one part of my trip video.

Galapagos Part 2 Rough draft on Vimeo
    Last edited by ronscuba; 09-18-2009 at 12:09 AM.

Country
    USA

Awesome Ron, really good work as usual. After seeing this and other videos, a wide angle video lens is now the primary land lens I use.

Was the water cold in the part of the Galapagos you were in?
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users
    City
    Brooklin
    State
    Ontario
    Country
    Canada

Default Shiver me timbers!

We dove the Galapagos in September 2009 and it amazed me that although we were practically on top of the equator the water temperature at depth was only 58F. I had only brought along a 5mm. wetsuit so the shaking of the housing can probably be attributed to the onset of hypothermia. I have not had the opportunity to go through and edit the hours of accumulated footage yet but there is a sample clip posted on vimeo: .

Country
    USA

Awesome video David. I finally had a chance to swim through and video a large school of larger fish on Bohol.

I liked the way you got footage of the length from front to end of the whale shark, as well as footage of the diver in close to the front, that gives perspective.

If that is a rough draft, I would edit the background track so the dramatic score crescendo comes in a few seconds earlier on the whale shark clip.

58 degrees is drysuit territory! Brrrr!!!!!
    SMN Publisher

Registered Users
    City
    Brooklin
    State
    Ontario
    Country
    Canada

Our dive master was diving dry and loving every minute of it until his suit flooded. You can just imagine how sympathetic I was to his discomfort.

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Amazing! How long were you there?

Registered Users
    Country
    Ecuador

Wow...beautiful footage! David, what a school of barracudas! Where was that...Wolf? And the mola mola!! Where?
    Last edited by DiveTheGalapagos; 02-10-2010 at 06:26 PM.

Registered Users
    City
    Brooklin
    State
    Ontario
    Country
    Canada

I would have to go through all my notes and footage to figure out what was filmed and where. The school of barracuda was at a site where gases are escaping through small openings in the sea floor. Visibility was really bad and the dive master and I became separated from the rest of the group and found ourselves surrounded by thousands of barracuda. The mola mola is at a cleaning station where the current is absolutely ripping and the water is a balmy 58F. We were also filming the red-lipped batfish and bullnose shark at this site. We were diving in the Galapagos for ten days, one of their last extended trips.

Country
    USA

That reminds me of a new generation of Sony videocams, the higher end prosumer stuff that geotags clips with the GPS coordinates of where it was shot although you cannot see the data on the footage, it is deciphered in post

For those of us who shoot a lot that might come in handy.
    SMN Publisher

Wreck Diving Moderator acelockco's Avatar
    State
    PA/NJ
    Country
    USA

Quote Originally Posted by The Publisher View Post
    That reminds me of a new generation of Sony videocams, the higher end prosumer stuff that geotags clips with the GPS coordinates of where it was shot although you cannot see the data on the footage, it is deciphered in post

For those of us who shoot a lot that might come in handy.
    That sounds cool for everyone that shoots video or still. Something that hopefully will be installed in all cameras in the future.